Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA £250 subsidy for ADS-B device - extended to Sep 2021, now until March 2024

I was based at Biggin for a while (with access to several aircraft), I flew with friends from Rochester, Southend, Stapleford and Elstree.
There’s roughly 20 aircraft where I fly from now.
Across all of that I’ve never seen Flarm in any aircraft.
However if Flarm is emitting Adsb I’ll see it so that’s all I need. From all the conversations I’ve had Flarm is only more prevalent in gliders.

I looked into PAW after hearing excellent reviews from 2 others at our field, and now actually 6, possibly 7 of us have it.

United Kingdom

GA_Pete wrote:

However if Flarm is emitting Adsb I’ll see it so that’s all I need. From all the conversations I’ve had Flarm is only more prevalent in gliders.

What is the TSO/ETSO for those FLARM devices?

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

What is the TSO/ETSO for those FLARM devices?

None. Flarm devices can be installed on ELA 2 (max 2000 kg MTOM) EASA airplanes according to Standard Change CS-SC051c.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

On the UK sites everybody is skirting around TCAS1, pretending it doesn’t exist, because it is in the interests of certain businesses.

The rebate is aimed at pilots or aircraft owner for who £250 make a difference. So a £10k-£15k TAS/TCAS is out-of-scope in this discussion.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Of course, for the installation of such.

However, if I was choosing a box costing say a few hundred, I might well choose one which makes me visible to modern fast planes which often come with TAS/TCAS1 systems factory installed. Anecdotally, if you read the forums, you will be told these are flown by people on autopilot who never look out, at 150-180kt

I don’t know how many SR22s have TAS but I bet you anybody buying one today, or in the last few years, will try to get one “fully loaded”; as with cars, getting the options improves resale value.

According to Mooney75, none of the portable devices, not even Skyecho2 with the SIL=1 config (ref. CAP1391), is visible to any certified TAS system. Clearly he has not tested this (otherwise he would present the evidence) and I am not in a position to disprove this… but I am sure others are, and for some reason they are keeping silent

There there is more skirting around whether CAP1391 is legal outside the UK…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There there is more skirting around whether CAP1391 is legal outside the UK…

The same legality as carrying a handheld radio or camera onboard of your aircraft while flying in some countries, if you leave it in the aircraft no one cares, if you take to the terminal you are in deep troubles

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

However, if I was choosing a box costing say a few hundred, I might well choose one which makes me visible to modern fast planes which often come with TAS/TCAS1 systems factory installed.

I don’t know if it is as simple as this. It isn’t really you that I’m worried about being hit by, because:

(a) in the TB10 you can see my transponder anyway, and;

(b) in the PA17 you will be a fair way above me.

Everyone will have their different use case, but I think these are some relevant factors. I’m more worried about being hit by club hacks flown by low-currency pilots who aren’t looking out. This is where I feel that pushing subsidised sub-£500 EC gadgets can add value. That said, it is a travesty that certified systems do not show SIL/SDA=0 signals. It is surely much better to know something is there than to pretend it is not because the GPS source is not certified? It is not like we’re trying to pass within metres of each other anyway – we want to stay well apart. The regulators have form for this though – they have long banged on about problems and errors with GPS when it was clear to anyone with a brain that even the worst GPS in the world is far better than an NDB.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

(b) in the PA17 you will be a fair way above me.

That is my flying style in the Cub 499ft agl, no transponder and not talking to anyone but I still take that PAW onboard, but it bother me when someone is doing the same at 2000ft amsl wondering along then M25 and cutting between WW & Booker not talking to anyone…

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Oct 14:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I bet a lot of the portable devices barely work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So I had an interesting email from Pooleys about my order of a Skyecho2, apparently they’re all sold out and can only get stock in Nov/Dec as the uptake has been surprising due to the CAA subsidy.

The more of these boxes are out flying the more useful they are to us to help with see and avoid. Just my 2 cents anyway.

Learning & burning
Popham, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message