Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA allows ab initio training on Annex 1, EASA doesn't like it, and Annex 1 hours acceptability towards EASA licenses

here

What I am not sure about is what this exactly means in reality. Can you count hours in an ultralight towards a full PPL? What example aircraft would be usable towards a full PPL? I don’t think this includes homebuilts (RVs, Lancairs etc).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes that’s exactly what it means Peter – any permit aircraft so all homebuilts included. Without going into VLA vs SLA certification standards, all these things will be SEP aircraft so fully included unless they are certified as a microlight. For example Evektor Sportstar = SEP aircraft, Evektor Eurostar = microlight.

The real issue will be getting instructors able to teach and an ATO happy to take the aircraft ‘on to the books’ – this doesn’t mean back of car boot, farm strip instruction can take place. What it will satisfy is those owners who build before having a licence, and perhaps some people that start at a ‘normal’ school then buy a share to finish off the licence and use post licence.

Now retired from forums best wishes

Well, there was an Information Notice (IN-2014/139) from UK CAA about microlight (ultralight) motorgliders. Not the same, but principle is the same. As I remember, it said that time in such microlight cannot be used towards any Part-FCL licence, but they are awaiting clarification from EASA. That was about a year ago. I was curious because AIUI EASA’s approach is that Annex II (which includes ultralights and homebuilts) count – simply put, an aeroplane is an aeroplane (that’s why definitions in No 1178/2011 are so broad), it doesn’t matter whether it’s in EASA’s purview or not maintenance or licensing-wise (I heard some NAA even tried to exclude any time on non-EASA registered aeroplanes, that would be really sick if it were true). I couldn’t find any such document from EASA, I even started a thread about it here. Now that Information Notice is gone as far as I can tell.

Last Edited by Martin at 01 Dec 23:02

So you can now borrow or rent somebody’s RV and do your EASA PPL in it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No you have to own a share in it. Maximum number of shares being 20

No – you have to own at least 5% of it ( ANO Article 269(2) )

Now retired from forums best wishes

Peter wrote:

What example aircraft would be usable towards a full PPL? I don’t think this includes homebuilts (RVs, Lancairs etc).

All of them, including homebuilts, the way it reads.

Once again, my Auster could be used for PPL training. Now all we need is to get rid of all this ATO nonsense and have freelance instructors like in the United States.

One thing I’ve always wanted to say to the LAA (who frequently state part of their goal is that there be affordable general aviation in Britain) is that it’s not much use having affordable aircraft if no one can actually afford the training to fly one in the first place. At least this goal is being mostly met, so long as there is sufficient willing ATOs/registered training facilities. (Perhaps the LAA could consider doing what the BGA did, and become an ATO/registered training facility and approve freelance instructors who are teaching on LAA members aircraft).

Andreas IOM

Posts moved from here

Here is the November 2015 release by the UK Light Aircraft Association, confirming that training (including ab initio) is permitted on Permit Aircraft. This covers groups, sole owners, plus spouse and kids of sole owners:

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2015/News/ANO.pdf

Last Edited by 2greens1red at 21 May 19:56
Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

I’m not sure I understand how one paragraph in my LAA link above:

ties in with the first paragraph of this LAA document:

From the last document mentioned, this is interesting as well:

Last Edited by 2greens1red at 21 May 21:03

Sort of related is this account of 2-3 guys who bought a Thruster microlight and used it for their ab initio training:

Propellerhead

Some of their adventures are hard to believe, but worth a glance. It may have been mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

(other booksellers exist but not many selling it at 1 pence UK)

Last Edited by 2greens1red at 21 May 21:23
Sign in to add your message