Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA allows ab initio training on Annex 1, EASA doesn't like it, and Annex 1 hours acceptability towards EASA licenses

An Amendment (EU) 2019/1747 to Commission Regulation (EU) 1178/2011 (Part-FCL)
has been published and came into force 11 November 2019. This amendment to PartFCL provides the possibility to recognise training and experience on certain Annex I
Aircraft for the purpose of obtaining a Part-FCL licence.

Seems very much like an EASA thing to me.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

UK CAA is consulting on this

https://consultations.caa.co.uk/ga/training-uk-national-permit-aeroplanes/

In this consultation document we propose extending paid-for initial pilot training to be conducted using certain aeroplanes which hold a UK national Permit to Fly (PtF).
We are proposing that this training can now be undertaken by those pilots who are not owners of the aircraft. Currently, to undertake initial training in PtF aeroplanes, the student would need to be an owner or part-owner for this to be acceptable.

CAP1823

This may be a UK-only move i.e. not related to anything in EASA. We are likely to see more of this, with brexit coming up.

Thread title updated.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve been doing it for 35 years Peter.

We are not all as intrepid as you.

Egnm, United Kingdom

Within the UK, or (in Europe within the country of the aircraft reg, in general) that is already largely the case, and may become even more true in the UK, with the NPPL and self medical declaration already in place. You just can’t do much going abroad… you need the Class 2 medical (the lack of which is the majority of the NPPL client base) and you need various permits… And while I fully realise many are quite happy doing just this, there is only so much value in GA doing the same old burger run from Blackbushe to Sandown for yet another CHD inducing all day breakfast and most people doing that tend to give up flying rather soon

Administrator

Just need to convert all the C of A stuff to permit and then we can do what we like.

Egnm, United Kingdom

April 2019 (brexit) is going to be ultra ultra interesting on the non-CofA privileges front, and probably in other areas. And, NO, not another brexit thread! It is very much within CAA power to do anything it wants on non-CofA.

Administrator

I’m just glad the UK CAA still allows 3rd country licenses for nationally-regulated aircraft. It seems that there’s still a lot of work to do on EASA licensing to make it sane.

Andreas IOM

I have merged two threads on what became the same topic…

I think some of the answers now appear further back in this thread, particularly the issue of e.g. an RV owner having to rent a CofA plane for 12 hours every two years, which is completely nuts.

Administrator

I’ve heard rumours that hours in non-EASA aircraft will not count for maintaining an EASA Licence. I have a share in a Permit aircraft which is one of a few of the type which are not EASA.
To allow my hours in It to count for maybe un-freezing an ATPL but not for maintaining my EASA PPL is crazy.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

This is not good. Look at what it actually says. It says training and experience may be recognized for the purpose of obtaining the licence. It says nothing about maintaining the license. For this to have any sort of practical relevance, the training and experience must therefore be done for another kind of license. Let’s say I have some kind of national license to fly some Annex II (now Annex I) aircraft. The training and experience can be used to obtain an EASA license. However, if I then use my EASA license to fly an Annex I aircraft, will that experience count when maintaining my EASA license? Not according to that paragraph, because I can only use that experience to obtain an EASA license.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
101 Posts
Sign in to add your message