Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA allows ab initio training on Annex 1, EASA doesn't like it, and Annex 1 hours acceptability towards EASA licenses

Someone asked me about this topic.

We have some UK based posts merged above but if one is talking about an EASA PPL that capability should not be under national regs.

Can an EASA PPL be done in a homebuilt type and if so, what are the restrictions?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Isn’t that already covered on page 1 of this thread?

Forever learning
EGTB

In 2014, yes. And that was a UK only angle. Times change

Administrator

EASA decided non – EASA COfA aircraft could not be used for training at any EASA training organisation (ATOs or DTOs).
This is in effect with DTOs, which is April 8 2018.

Several nations protested, mainly France (DGAC and FFA), UK (CAA, AOPA & LAA), Czech Republic.
Non-COfA aircraft represent 10% of French aeroclub’s fleet.
These aircraft could not even be counted for SEP rating renewal. So owners would have to rent a certified aircraft for the 12 hours (test included).

I know a few French flying clubs with N-regs. There could be an issue too.

Long story here (in French)

LFOU, France

Presumably the Annex 2 crowd is also affected, which is a significant proportion of the tailwheel community.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Yes – this EASA move is astonishingly vindictive and a finger-up to basic principles established over decades.

This is on the LAA website which covers it too. The requirement for homebuilders etc to rent a CofA type for 12 hrs every 2 years is just bizzare.

With Brexit, the UK could refuse to implement this, but given the latest on this I am sure EASA had told the CAA here that they must now implement “everything” otherwise EASA will withdraw their right to issue EASA licenses, which would be a nuclear scenario.

Administrator

This was posted in another thread

Historically, AFAIK, in the UK, one could not do any training on a non CofA type (except a microlight). Then it was gradually opened up.

Administrator

Won’t one be able to fly Permit aircraft on an UK PPL and renew one’s UK PPL through hours on them? I don’t see how EASA could stop that as an option. Presumably you’d just lose the SEP rating on your EASA license?

And presumably be unable to fly outside the UK

Egnm, United Kingdom

The link Peter provided to the LAA website suggests you can fly in EASA territory in a Permit aircraft with a National licence and a EASA Class 2 Medical. Other restrictions may apply to Permit aircraft.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message