Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA call for evidence on electronic conspicuity

Does anyone know what this is really about?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They have published this report

Administrator

Not a lot of interest in this one

Admittedly I struggle to work out what they are trying to say and how their conclusions are justified from the foregoing info.

No relevant mention of ADS-B, so it doesn’t look like they are trying to go the US route, though admittedly the US is doing it only in transponder-mandatory airspace of which the UK has very little, and the US is going for certified ADS-B OUT while most of the “social media driven” promotion in the UK is for uncertified ADS-B OUT.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

No relevant mention of ADS-B, so it doesn’t look like they are trying to go the US route, though admittedly the US is doing it only in transponder-mandatory airspace of which the UK has very little, and the US is going for certified ADS-B OUT while most of the “social media driven” promotion in the UK is for uncertified ADS-B OUT.

They mention congestion on 1090 and ADS-B at the back. I think they are likely to require ADS-OUT in selective airspace.

EGTK Oxford

If they mandate ADS-B OUT in some airspace, that would imply it is for surveillance benefit (ATC) and it would have to be certified ADS-B OUT.

That is totally different from the current “drift” in the UK, which is a different uncertified gadget for every forum poster

Administrator

Peter, what I still don’t get is why not to say the same thing as for 8.33: any NEW transponder installed in G-REG from xxx date must be ADS-B OUT enabled.
It looks like it is getting hard now to buy a non-ADS-B OUT TXP these days as most manufacturers are aiming at the US hence ADS-B out.
According to Mendelson’s (gps.co.uk) it costs £3114 to buy a GTX335 with a gps card vs. £2874 without. £240 savings?

EGTR

I don’t disagree

I am merely saying that if you look at what is being pushed in the UK, it isn’t certified ADS-B OUT.

The CAA sounds (though I am not sure) like they are interested in promoting the various low cost approaches, but that can be only for inter-aircraft anti collision purposes. ATC (i.e. airspace compliance surveillance) will never be able to see that stuff. These two are very different objectives.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I am merely saying that if you look at what is being pushed in the UK, it isn’t certified ADS-B OUT.

I think it is both. I wouldn’t be surprised to see certified/non-certified position source ADS-B for general use and certified ADS-B required for certain airspace.

EGTK Oxford

arj1 wrote:

According to Mendelson’s (gps.co.uk) it costs £3114 to buy a GTX335 with a gps card vs. £2874 without. £240 savings?

I think in this comparison both versions provide ADS-B OUT, the difference is only whether the WAAS GPS is internal to the transponder or a separate unit.

If it were only new installations that were ADS-B mandatory (in my area of the US) I would never have installed a new transponder in my plane, and that is doubtless why FAA didn’t go in that direction. As it is, having just installed a new transponder etc my distaste for the manipulative and/or flaky people and processes associated with avionics is ever growing.

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message