Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA new "Skyway Code" book on flying in the UK

Here

Local copy

It is quite interesting. A lot of good effort has been put into it and, on a quick scan, I have not found any mistakes. It is also devoid of the pomposity and nonsense often found in the old CAA Safety Sense leaflets. It is mostly concerning VFR rather than IFR.

The intro is interesting too:

Figures I had seen previously were 20k and 20k for pilots and aircraft.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Probably 20k aircraft if you include F, D PH, N etc..,

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I think it’s a great publication and I will be printing and binding a copy for myself. A book (162 pages – certainly not a booklet) that brings together a wide range of hugely useful UK GA information in one place. I’m really very impressed.

What a pity that they didn’t send copies to those pilots that we all worry about including those that don’t know enough about the rules of the air, their use of the radio, or why stalling on take-off is so common etc. etc.

Last Edited by Howard at 27 Aug 19:22
Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

The very sad thing is that it is the work of the brightest, most knowledgeable, most enlightened and most approachable person in the CAA, Ed Bellamy, who has since left to become an airline pilot.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Administrator

Brexit update

The UK CAA has just published V3 of the Skyway Code.

Version 3 brings the publication up to date with changes to reflect the UK’s departure from the European Union.

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Safety-information/The-Skyway-Code/

Skyway_Code_v3_INT_28CAP1535S_29_pdf

EDDW, Germany

What an effort. Hope you hurry up to rejoin, will be less changes to the EU system then.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

The section on customs has not been properly updated. Plus it carries forward old errors.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It remains a well written document, which is unusual from the UK CAA since most of the good people left over the last 10-15 years.

To me, on a quick look from page 1 on, the most striking thing is the change from “EASA aircraft” to “Part 21 aircraft”. Of course EU residents can and often do take the p1ss out of the UK changing these terms but who really seriously thinks that “EASA aircraft” is anything other than a really dumb name? An N-reg C172, based in Arizona, which never came to within < 3000nm of any country ruled by EASA, is an “EASA aircraft”! It is totally meaningless and looks like EASA owns all certified aircraft worldwide. We did that e.g. here.

EASA regs started off c. 2003 by taking Part 21 (etc) and not changing much of the text. Or maybe it was JAA? So this makes sense. Part 21 is the worldwide term.

There is the usual old junk in there, for alignment with the UK PPL training sausage machine, e.g. F214 for winds aloft and F215 for the whole “kitchen sink” picture.

Not heard of this one before

Practically nobody uses AFPEX but the CAA is clearly not aware

Under “Customs, immigration and police” I can’t see what is wrong there. This is still current; as per here and re-confirmed to me by the police a few days ago, even though the rules do seem odd with the UK being out of the EU

The “Non-ICAO compliant aircraft or pilot licenses” section is accurate, which is unusual.

Overall, it is a good summary and my comments in post 1 (I have merged two threads on the same topic) would still remain my view. This was written by somebody who did actually fly a plane from A to B and not just to LFAT.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It remains a well written document

I do think so as well.

It’s funny that this document recommends using a moving map for navigation, which is the sort of advice that someone who has actually flown to go to places would give. Contrary to the whole PPL/CPL training scene where you’re supposed to dead reckon your way around the minefield that the UK airspace is.

Dead reckoning based SOLELY on paper charts and plog, without a moving map for reference, is plain reckless in my opinion.

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 14 Mar 18:55
EDDW, Germany
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message