Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA validation of EU licenses until 31 Dec 2022

Various people looked for some proper reference for this:

CERTIFICATE_OF_VALIDATION_pdf

and this one appears to cover UK license holders who did a state of license issue (SOLI) to the EU but now think it may not have been such a great idea

EU_EXIT_CERTIFICATE_OF_VALIDATION_Issued_to_former_UK_Part_FCL_Licence_holder_pdf

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

and this one appears to cover UK license holders who did a state of license issue (SOLI) to the EU but now think it may not have been such a great idea

EU_EXIT_CERTIFICATE_OF_VALIDATION_Issued_to_former_UK_Part_FCL_Licence_holder_pdf

As this one references the original UK license number, I wonder if this could keep an FAA 61.75 piggy-back certificate usable to fly N-reg.

I.e. the FAA 61.75 refers to the UK license number, the above quoted form references the UK license number (and is, as such, a “piggy-back” license itself) and is valid in combination with the new EASA license? House of cards?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

The 61.75 has always been described as a “house of cards”, due to the problems so many had with getting it renewed when something on the underlying license changed. Even one’s home address was regarded as sufficient – not sure if that is still the case. OTOH the 61.75 has advantages e.g. no FAA medical.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The 61.75 has always been described as a “house of cards”, due to the problems so many had with getting it renewed when something on the underlying license changed. Even one’s home address was regarded as sufficient – not sure if that is still the case. OTOH the 61.75 has advantages e.g. no FAA medical.

AFAIU the only important thing is that the underlying license keeps the same license number.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

the only important thing

Address changes must be notified to the Airmen Certification Branch.

14 CFR 61.60 Change of address.

The holder of a pilot, flight instructor, or ground instructor
certificate who has made a change in permanent mailing address may
not, after 30 days from that date, exercise the privileges of the
certificate unless the holder has notified in writing the FAA, Airman
Certification Branch, P.O. Box 25082, Oklahoma City, OK 73125, of the
new permanent mailing address, or if the permanent mailing address
includes a post office box number, then the holder’s current
residential address.

Address changes can easily be made in Airmen Certification Online Services (link).

London, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

Address changes must be notified to the Airmen Certification Branch.

Yes. but that doesn’t mean that an address change makes a 61.75 invalid – only that the holder “may not … exercise the privileges of the certificate” unless the FAA is notified of the address change.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Received the following from the UK CAA and thought it might be of interest here. The linked website with all the various docs is here.

Dear colleague,

As you transferred your UK pilot licence to an EASA equivalent, this is a reminder to apply to the UK CAA as soon as possible to regain your UK Part-FCL licence to continue operating UK-Registered aircraft from 1 January 2023.

As you know, the UK will stop recognising EASA pilot licences on 31 December 2022, in accordance with the EU Withdrawal Act. The recognition was to allow individuals and organisations time to adjust to the legal changes, providing stability for passengers, the aviation and aerospace sectors.

In April 2021, the CAA launched a new and simplified EU-UK conversion process for those who previously held UK licences to regain them. The process also allows for EASA licence holders to gain UK licences and will no longer be available after 31 December 2022. After this date, pilots with European licences wishing to gain their UK licence will be required to go through the full conversion process, including examinations, training and testing as required.

More information on the application process, including processing time, costs and eligibility criteria can be found on our website here.

The Government has been clear that there will be no extension to the current trading agreement between the UK Government and European Commission. This means that there will be no extension to the 31 December 2022 deadline and the CAA will no longer recognise EASA-issued licences from 1 January 2023.

Any application received after this date will not be considered. The UK CAA anticipates high demand for the EU-UK conversion process, and therefore applicants who wait to submit their applications may be at risk of disruption to the continuity of their privileges. All applications will be processed in strict date order.

You can apply for the UK Part-FCL licence via the CAA’s e-Licensing system. For applicants unable to apply by this system, an online application form is available.
__
__
Best wishes,
UK Civil Aviation Authority

Thanks 172driver – I was literally just looking what to do to get a UK licence after the current validation ends.

I saw somewhere on the CAA website (not in the section linked above) that they won’t issue licences without ELP. I don’t have ELP on my French licence; however, I am a native speaker and have ‘English Proficient’ on my FAA licence.

Questions

1. Do I need to prove ELP? (I assume yes)
  2. How can I demonstrate ELP? (interview with an FE or FRTOL examiner, the FRTOL exam, add it to French licence)
  3. How can I prove ELP to the CAA? (add to online form?)

I actually passed the FRTOL 10 years ago, but the CAA refused to issue the licence ‘because you already have a licence’ and ‘because you don’t need one’. I went in circles for a few phone calls then eventually gave up.

I assume I’ll have to take the FRTOL again?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

@Capitaine, so you never had a UK-CAA-issued EASA Part FCL licence ? Then the email above won’t apply.

I guess you’ll have to research if it is easier/cheaper to convert you FAA licence or your French one+ELP.

For ELP, if you can get level 6 which clearly is your case, an FE can sign that for you.
Form SRG1199 looks like the one needed.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Xtophe wrote:

I guess you’ll have to research if it is easier/cheaper to convert you FAA licence or your French one+ELP.

But wait – does the UK not recognize ICAO licenses (FAA etc) anymore? I haven’t been following this of late, but someone here will surely know the current lay of the land.

63 Posts
Sign in to add your message