Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK could see major overhaul of air traffic control in near future

What is their plan for allowing GA into PRNAV airspace?

Still being discussed at FASIIG etc.

99% of GA is and never will be PRNAV compliant, and actually neither are the vast majority of business jets.

Really? What makes you think that?

What makes you think that?

Speaking to or knowing many of the pilots.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In my very limited knowledge of business jets the more modern airframes are OK

For Citations:

All current Cessna jets with Flight Management Systems (FMS) as listed are approved to be P-RNAV compliant: 510 Mustang with Garmin G1000 FMS CJ1+ with Collins FMS-3000 CJ2+ with Collins FMS-3000 CJ3 with Collins FMS-3000 560+ with Collins FMS-3000 560XLS with Honeywell FMZ Series
560XLS+ with Collins FMS-3000 680 with Honeywell Epic Series 750 with Honeywell FMZ Series

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Is it possible to do a global PRNAV declaration for Airframe Type X?

Normally, for PRNAV, you need to obtain an aircraft-specific approval, and you need an aircraft-specific AFMS reflecting that.

You also need crew approval (there are some easy ways to do that though; I believe one chap is running seminars at the end of which he gives you a certificate).

None of the bizjet pilots I know or have spoken to personally know anything about this. They just file the flight plan, take off, fly, fly the approach, land, fill up, go off to the hotel, etc

Also a large % of bizjets flying in Euro airspace are not EU based in any way. These people fly IAW ICAO i.e. the way it's always been done, and they are not "connected" into the European rulemaking apparatus and the gigabytes of bandwidth used up here in Europe discussing this stuff.

I realise a brand new jet will come with all this sorted, but most jets are not anywhere near new.

On light GA, if you have a GNS or GTN box, then PRNAV is - possible. If N-reg, it's an FAA LoA (currently these are taking ~ 1 year, from what I hear from people dealing with the NY IFU on it) and for EASA-reg it's a Major Mod, etc.

But if you have any of the non-Garmin kit, then in most cases PRNAV is not possible at all. It will all have to be ripped out and replaced - typical cost c. low-ish 5 figures; more if you need to sort out stuff like MFD compatibility.

Obviously ignorance of the law is no excuse, etc, etc, but there is a bit of "reality" to be faced here. This issue has the potential to wipe out much of private IFR GA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message