Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK could see major overhaul of air traffic control in near future

Is it possible to do a global PRNAV declaration for Airframe Type X?

Normally, for PRNAV, you need to obtain an aircraft-specific approval, and you need an aircraft-specific AFMS reflecting that.

You also need crew approval (there are some easy ways to do that though; I believe one chap is running seminars at the end of which he gives you a certificate).

None of the bizjet pilots I know or have spoken to personally know anything about this. They just file the flight plan, take off, fly, fly the approach, land, fill up, go off to the hotel, etc

Also a large % of bizjets flying in Euro airspace are not EU based in any way. These people fly IAW ICAO i.e. the way it's always been done, and they are not "connected" into the European rulemaking apparatus and the gigabytes of bandwidth used up here in Europe discussing this stuff.

I realise a brand new jet will come with all this sorted, but most jets are not anywhere near new.

On light GA, if you have a GNS or GTN box, then PRNAV is - possible. If N-reg, it's an FAA LoA (currently these are taking ~ 1 year, from what I hear from people dealing with the NY IFU on it) and for EASA-reg it's a Major Mod, etc.

But if you have any of the non-Garmin kit, then in most cases PRNAV is not possible at all. It will all have to be ripped out and replaced - typical cost c. low-ish 5 figures; more if you need to sort out stuff like MFD compatibility.

Obviously ignorance of the law is no excuse, etc, etc, but there is a bit of "reality" to be faced here. This issue has the potential to wipe out much of private IFR GA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In my very limited knowledge of business jets the more modern airframes are OK

For Citations:

All current Cessna jets with Flight Management Systems (FMS) as listed are approved to be P-RNAV compliant: 510 Mustang with Garmin G1000 FMS CJ1+ with Collins FMS-3000 CJ2+ with Collins FMS-3000 CJ3 with Collins FMS-3000 560+ with Collins FMS-3000 560XLS with Honeywell FMZ Series
560XLS+ with Collins FMS-3000 680 with Honeywell Epic Series 750 with Honeywell FMZ Series

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

What makes you think that?

Speaking to or knowing many of the pilots.

Administrator

What is their plan for allowing GA into PRNAV airspace?

Still being discussed at FASIIG etc.

99% of GA is and never will be PRNAV compliant, and actually neither are the vast majority of business jets.

Really? What makes you think that?

In the UK, the plan is for RNAV1 (PRNAV) sooner than that.

What is their plan for allowing GA into PRNAV airspace?

I could not find anything in that document.

99% of GA is and never will be PRNAV compliant, and actually neither are the vast majority of business jets.

Administrator

Humbly requesting the all-superior native English speakers to be kind to the less fortunate.

From my observation of your posts in other threads on here Jan I would say your English is vastly superior to most native speakers!

or should I say vastly superior to that of most native speakers.... :)

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

The UK CAA announced the Future Airspace Strategy some time ago and refers to implementation by 2020. This is the biggest shift in IFR operation since the disappearance of Radio Ranges in the early 60s, but nobody has thought to tell the training community or EASA, who's proposals for IR training are still based on rapidly disappearing 1950s technology. When are they going to wake up and start talking to one another?

Your challenge is a fair one. EASA has a rulemaking task MDM.062 which will have as one of its outputs the incorporation of Performance Based Navigation (PBN, i.e. RNAV stuff in its various flavours) in the mainstream of OPS and FCL regulation.

On the ATM-side, Eurocontrol is leading the PBN stuff, with proposals for (see the summary towards the end of the workshop slides)

• RNP APCH (i.e. LNAV, LNAV/VNAV or LPV) at every instrument runway end by 2018

• Terminal operations predicated on RNP1 with RF leg and RNAV holding by 2020

• Enroute ops above 195 using A-RNP with FRT by 2023

In the UK, the plan is for RNAV1 (PRNAV) sooner than that.

While the subject under discussion above was surveillance (and operating an ADS-B out box is not quite as hard as operating a Mode S transponder :)), navigation is the key for training and operations requirements.

(Edited to say that the MDM.062 URL seems to need some sort of escaping -- mod help please?) [ done - any round brackets within a URL need a backslash \ in front of them ]

Yes, please, no facebook or twitter or SMS texting language.

Administrator

spotted it B4.

I reckon B4 is just a tad SWF of A9b?

Humbly requesting the all-superior native English speakers to be kind to the less fortunate.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Can you post a link to something "readable", or a summary, Tumbleweed?

I am sure some will think I am a bit of a nerd but I find the usual 500 page documents to be barely readable...

Administrator
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message