Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

(UK) Flying with expired class 2 on EASA PPL?

One of my students had his Class 2 expire, but is still within the LAPL expiration. He has a EASA PPL + IR(R).
I’m trying to find out
A) Can I instruct him (with expired medical)
B) Can he fly on his EASA PPL (given his medical is still valid for LAPL), or does he need to ask for a LAPL based on his EASA PPL
C) If not, can is there any other way he can fly without re-doing his medical?

Noe wrote:

One of my students had his Class 2 expire, but is still within the LAPL expiration. He has a EASA PPL + IR(R).
I’m trying to find out
A) Can I instruct him (with expired medical)
I’m reasonably sure the answer is YES.
B) Can he fly on his EASA PPL (given his medical is still valid for LAPL), or does he need to ask for a LAPL based on his EASA PPL
NO. He needs to convert the license to LAPL. There is a similar situation when a CPL/ATPL holder fails a class 1 medical (could be for temporary reasons) but can get a class 2 one. I understand EASA is aware of this issue and may do something about it
C) If not, can is there any other way he can fly without re-doing his medical?
Not on an EASA license. Possibly on a national license.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 10 Jul 19:34
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Noe wrote:

One of my students had his Class 2 expire

If he’s one of your students, then he’s obviously training for something. Which begs the question – why doesn’t he just get his medical sorted?

I am very sure that you can have IR training and do an IR test or revalidation without a valid medical. This is because – in EASA-land – the instructor is the PIC even if the student is capable of being the PIC.

Probably same for a PPL, although obviously the PPL involves some solo flights so you need a medical for those parts.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A) Yes
B) No because a LAPL is not contained in a PPL – he would have to downgrade his PPL to a LAPL. Note he could then not use his IR(R)
C) Depends if he has a national licence still

Ps a lot also depends on wha the instruction is for

Now retired from forums best wishes
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message