Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK LAMS maintenance schedule, and going to another EASA reg?

Can anyone explain what the UK LAMS maintenance regime is compared to the maintenance under CAMO in the rest of Europe ?
Could this regime give trouble when going from G-reg to eg. D-reg ? The shop I used for a prebuy said the maintenance paperwork (G-reg under LAMS) was incomplete and a (possible) change of EASA registration or maintenance regime might be a problem.

You might want to draw a picture because I’m far from an expert on these matters :-)

EBST, Belgium

I don’t know the details (there are many here who do) but in general

• on a registry transfer, the exporting registry’s maintenance regime has to do an Export CofA (the only importing registry I know of which doesn’t need this is Guernsey) and that goes over the whole plane; this is presumably not needed if going intra EU reg
  • any required differences can be taken care of in one step

If the paperwork is incomplete then you have a problem anyway. Lots of people lose their logbooks or parts of logbooks, because it is normal for these to be retained by the maintenance company. A very dumb practice IMHO but most owners are not really that involved, and the maintenance business likes it that way because keeping the logbooks is another barrier to changing companies. I can see various other issues e.g. asking the maint co. to co-operate with a sale of the plane is asking them to do something which will result in them losing that business.

Did the shop say how it is incomplete? It still has to be EASA Part M compliant. So I wonder if the issue is inherent in a G to “non G EU” transfer, or just bad record keeping?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If I understood correctly, the LAMS maintenance program was a more general program which omitted a lot of items that the part M (?) maintenance required. All logbooks are available, but a lot of items which need logbook entry (under CAMO) are not there.

Maintenance management is complicated stuff, djeezzz…

EBST, Belgium

Yes, when I was G-reg (2002-2005) I was under LAMS too, but is this the case currently? Aren’t all certified G-regs Part M? How would you get the CAMO signoff?

I am not aware of any significant difference with LAMS. You still had the 150hr service which was a de facto full Annual, the 6 year prop overhaul, etc. Maybe the logbook format is different.

EDIT: it is now called LAMP – light aircraft maintenance programme.

I am much happier on N-reg I still have the three logbooks (engine airframe prop) but there is just 1 sheet each year listing the Annual work done, and a logbook entry for each intermediate service. However to get the full benefit you want a freelance A&P/IA arrangement.

Administrator

Important to know
https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Aircraft-ownership-and-maintenance/Self-Declared-Maintenance-Programme/

excerpt from above link:

The transition for all remaining aircraft from CAA LAMP and LAMP(H) to a Part M, M.A.302 compliant programme was originally aligned to the adoption of Part M Light. As the date for introduction of this new regulation is currently unknown, the timescale for transfer to a Part M compliant maintenance programme is the 31 December 2019 or to a Part -ML compliant maintenance programme one year after the introduction of Part-ML but in any case, CAA LAMP, must not be used after 31 December 2019.
This new deadline for Part M applies to ELA1 aircraft operated commercially (flying training), aircraft with MTOM of above 1200Kg but less than 2730Kg and all helicopters below 1200Kg currently on CAA LAMP(H).
Owners, CAMOs, maintenance companies and engineers should plan accordingly.

The introduction of Part-M Light (Part-ML) would mean owners/operators will have the option to use an SDMP/MIP based programme, as detailed by Part-M L.

Last Edited by nobbi at 28 Nov 22:19
EDxx, Germany

That’s good information @nobbi. Thanks !

EBST, Belgium

I’m assuming you are flying an EASA aircraft. If so and still using LAMS you havebeen very poorly advised by your maintenance company. Not entirely sure of your next step… You should have been on LAMP.
If your aircraft is under 1200kg you should have transferred to an SDMP, which will be valid anywhere in EASA land. If over 1200kg situation is less clear, you could still be on LAMP. You may have to get a maintenance programme created for your aircraft based on the manufacturer’s schedule.
To transfer state of registry of an aircraft within EASA is straightforward. It will take around a month for the paperwork, no export CofA is required.

United Kingdom

It is possible that due to the decades of use of LAMS, the UK based maintenance company in this case still calls it LAMS but it is something else.

To transfer state of registry of an aircraft within EASA is straightforward

Unless somebody made a mistake and installed some item under the wrong STC, etc

Administrator

I just bought an aircraft and I transferred it to a maintenance organisation of my choice. The whole LAMS-regime was the choice of the previous owner (done by his maintenance atelier). I asked my organisation to change the regime to a more common one.

EBST, Belgium
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message