Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK Listening squawks

That’s great – thanks for posting it. I’ve printed it out and will laminate it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A listening squwak for Farnborough Radar LARS East might be useful. Mostly it’s a pain getting a word in for a Basic service and of course you have to then get a word in to change service, so I don’t bother in the main most days. I have a Mode-S transponder, and when in their area I always listen out on the frequency.

Is anybody listening to this message?

Archer2
EGKA, United Kingdom

I use the Farnborough West squawk when I am on N or E. It isn’t what I am supposed to do, but I am sure it gets the message across.

But actually, generally speaking when in the N area, I am on Heathrow or Luton TMC, and in the E, I am on Southend or Gatwick, so I don’t really miss a squawk on E.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy, thanks for your input

If in the East hood squawking West listening squawk, do you listen-in primarily on the East frequency ?

apologies to those who are not familiar with the madness of UK South OCAS

Archer2
EGKA, United Kingdom

Stanley wrote:

If in the East hood squawking West listening squawk, do you listen-in primarily on the East frequency

Yes. It’s not in the coverage of West.

EGKB Biggin Hill

OK I will join in the experiment and report here if I get any feedback. Don’t worry I will say it was my idea.

Another question – do the Farnborough LARS controllers have the call sign for Mode S aircraft displayed on their screens with ALT and squawk ? They never seem to use call signs when a/c are infringing, I have only ever heard blind ATC – a/c calls at such times.

Archer2
EGKA, United Kingdom

I believe they do and I have heard them used.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I really do not understand the point of a listening squawk.
I either want a service and talk to someone, or I dont want a service and I dont talk to anyone.
From its description in every CAA document I have seen so far, it provides me, the pilot, with absolutely nothing of any use whatsoever.

32 Posts
Sign in to add your message