Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Uk to Scandanavia VFR transponder requirements.

Hoping to fly my Robin DR400 this spring from Southern England to Scandanavia.My aircraft still has only mode C transponder and 760 comms fitted.I plan to fly VFR only in class G airspace as much as possible routing Headcorn – Midden Zeeland- St Michaelesdonn EDXM – Hooganas- Vastaras.I hold a valid SEP full instrument rating and will be accompanying a vintage 1936 aircraft which has this year been fitted with a mode S.In previous years this aircraft has negotiated this route with mode A only and no problems encountered from ATC along the route.The owner of this aircraft tells me ATC were very accomodating even of his mode A.Will my transponder cause me difficulty on route? Anyone have any experience on the practicalities of flying this route.regards Stampe.

EGMD EGTO EGKR, United Kingdom

The Netherlands mandate a Mode-S transponder, but I don’t know in how far that is “enforced” by ATC. One of the dutch collegagues may be able to give more details.

Germany is fine with Mode-C. In fact, you don’t need any kind of transponder as long as you don’t climb above 5000 feet.

Please note that St. Michael is – officially at least – “german only” on the radio.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 01 Jan 21:00
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I think if you fly in formation with the other aircarft you will not need any transponder at all as only one aircraft in the formation will switch on the transponder.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sweden does not require mode S either, VFR or IFR.

It seems you will be in Danish airspace for an hour or so.
There is no mode S requirement in Danish airspace either, not even for IFR.

Do yourself a favour and contact Copenhagen Information (FIS) on 127,075 as soon as you enter Danish airspace. They will assign you an individual squawk and provide traffic information as well as most other information you could possibly need.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Don’t know about mode S (always had it) but you may need to put ELT on your FPL for Holland.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

The Netherlands mandate a Mode-S transponder, but I don’t know in how far that is “enforced” by ATC.

AFAIK this only applies > 1.200 ft.

Plus from what I hear it’s reasonably easy to get a clearance even when Mode-C only if you ask for it (Dutch Mil).

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

AFAIK this only applies > 1.200 ft.

Oh that’s OK then

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Oh that’s OK then

Depending on mission profile etc., etc., ?

Last Edited by Patrick at 06 Jan 10:19
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message