Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Unstable wx

Great pics !

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Superb pics!

I was in a Swiss RJ100 yesterday returning to LCY at mid FL30s (I estimate) and we skimmed the outer edge of a CB in Northern France that must have gone up to 40-45K ft. I was rather nervous that the aircraft got so close and did not give a wide berth but was completely smooth and not a bump in turbulence!

EGKB

Patrick wrote:

I cancelled my plans to fly VFR to South of Germany this weekend, obviously.

I rode a motorcycle from the Med to Wörgl, Austria yesterday (in the Inn Valley) through the Brenner Pass, and much to my surprise saw no rain at all. There were some large buildups around but I think VFR through the Brenner would have been possible, at least to my relatively uneducated eye – I’m no expert on local weather. Today in Bavaria the skies are bright blue. A pleasant surprise.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Jun 15:45

Morgan wrote:

I was in a Swiss RJ100 yesterday returning to LCY at mid FL30s (I estimate)

3500 ft is quite low for a jet

At the contrary: interceptors are lower than that, most of the time, whence the dire warnings for low altitude exercises, not only in France.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Indeed they are – but I suspect that OP meant FL350 – FL35 over France would be low for an RJ100 inbound to London City

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I had an interesting flight an hour ago from Sabadell LELL to Friedrichshafen EDNY. I had to outclimb “the stuff” escaping to FL220 where I was mostly on top. But some were a bit higher and I used the ADL sat WX to stay away. That put me over Switzerland in a military area but the Swiss did not object :-)

More later when I have reviewed the pictures and written down the story.

Frequent travels around Europe

The Swiss Air Force only flies during office hours…

I just came back from Vilshofen weaving through the CBs visually and with RADAR until on top. Wasn’t clear if cloud until FL280.

EGTK Oxford

Today, Easyjet, the tops were about FL340 most of the way from Rhodes to Gatwick (via Zagreb, etc). This is rare.

However it was apparent that one could do some VMC between layers – maybe FL150-FL200.

Turbulence all the way.

Not too surprising, looking at all the troughs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message