Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Upgrading 61.75 from SEIR -> MEIR

My FAA 61.75 was done when I only had EASA single engine qualifications (with IR)
Since then I got (on my EASA licence) an MEP rating and upgraded my Single engine IR to Multi engine (“upgrade” is really an initial test, but where the examiner is less concerned by seeing an en route segment)

Is there an easy way to get that added to my 61.75? (which doesn’t involve a couple of month for the FAA to accept the verification and then find time to meet an FAA examiner in the UK)

Thanks!

My understanding is that no changes are made to a 61.75. If you want/need a change, you have to go through the whole verification/application process again.

The other thing to be careful of is, if your licence number changed when you got the MEP/Multi, then your current 61.75 is no longer valid, as it’s based on a licence number that no longer exists.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The licence number stays the same (at least I expect it to, it never changed with the inclusion of other ratings)

dublinpilot wrote:

My understanding is that no changes are made to a 61.75. If you want/need a change, you have to go through the whole verification/application process again.

That is also my understanding. That’s why I did not add my MEIR to my 61.75.

LFPT, LFPN

I was living under the impression that there was no such distinction in FAA land, and that you only had an “Instrument Rating – Airplane”. Is that not the case, and where can I read up on this?

I dont think the issue is the IR, but the multi component, the OP says there is no multi on their 61.75.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 03 May 21:00

If you want to get an instrument rating added to a certificate with ASEL and AMEL, examiners will require you to do test in an ME aircraft. I think you used to be able to keep ME as VFR only but this is no longer allowed apparently. It says instrument airplane but that doesn’t mean you can use it in a twin if you haven’t demonstrated it in a twin.

Last Edited by JasonC at 03 May 21:25
EGTK Oxford

I have a 61.75 based FAA license with SEL, MEL and IR, but the MEL was not added at a later stage. I did not have to do a test to get the license other than the usual IR theory test. The BFR does not have to be done on a Twin as well.

EDLE, Netherlands

But to the original question, to add MEL you will need to go through the whole validation process again.

EGTK Oxford

I hold an EASA SEP + IR. What happens if i add an EASA MEP rating, but no EASA MEIR, and then go to the FAA to validate my MEP? Will they refuse to add it because I don’t have an MEIR, or would they add it and rely on the clause that I can only exercise the privileges of the underlying (EASA) licence, which would limit me to VFR when flying multi-engine (due to the lack of a MEIR)?

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message