Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

URGENT! Looking for Language Proficiency Examiner, today (2nd April)

Hello,

Today (2nd of April) I flew from Amsterdam to Gatwick to convert my JAR license (SEP) to an EASA license. I received my license in 2010. I was expecting no problems, but the nice girl at the counter told me, my LPE was expired. Back in 2010 I was told by the examiner that I have LPE level 5 (which is valid for 5 years), but instead the level 4 was registered (which is valid for 3 years).

I fly back this evening on an Easyjet flight. Is anybody in the neighborhood (shoreham, Redhill, etc.) to test me? Or do you know someone who might be available?

I contacted my former instructor, but he is not available.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Regards,
Jan

jkv
EHEH

Has your English improved and do you feel you qualify for a level six now?

UK Examiners are only authorized by the CAA to validate that somebody is fluent in English – which means a level 6. If you are not fluent, then the examiner is supposedly not able to distinguish between the lower levels (so he or she can’t tell the difference between a 3 and a 4, for instance), so they have to refer you to a language institute. Getting tested at a language institute is a lot more involved. You won’t be able to get that done today. (And TBH I thought the CAA had examiners on staff, so you should be able to get an LPE 6 at the CAA at Gatwick. If the CAA sent you away, that might indicate that they don’t feel you qualify for a six. But that’s pure speculation on my part.)

I’m in more or less the same boat. I got an LPE 6 (at a language institute, no less) and had this added to my JAR-FCL PPL early 2011. I’m now applying for an EASA licence (due to passing the IMC/IRR exam) and the CAA refuses to honor this LPE 6. I have short-circuited this whole discussion by contacting a UK examiner (a well-known forumite on here btw) and after a short chat he signed my 1199 form which is now on its way to Gatwick. But I still have a question to the CAA pending, why they are not accepting an LPE 6 that has already been added to my licence in 2011, for the issue of an EASA PPL. They have not given me a specific answer to this question, but are just referring me to CAP 804 in general. On my response that CAP 804 contains this specific phrase…

“From 17 September 2012 onwards, applicants for new or replacement licences, or for the conversion of national licences, must supply evidence of language proficiency in English – (or have previously been accepted by the CAA as being at a level that has not expired on the date the new licence is issued).” (my bold)

(CAP 804 section 1, Part C, para 3.5)

…I still have not received an answer. I’m contemplating filing an official complaint, but I am first waiting on the CAA to move and send me my EASA PPL on the basis of the 1199 form.

Last Edited by BackPacker at 02 Apr 12:54

Back in 2010 I was told by the examiner that I have LPE level 5 (which is valid for 5 years), but instead the level 4 was registered (which is valid for 3 years).

On further reflection, I’m wondering about this. At least in the UK, a flight examiner cannot issue you with a five. The only people who can do that are language institute professionals, and they will want to conduct the full language assessment first. UK flight examiners can only hand out sixes. So your examiner may well have intended to say “I’m sorry, but I can’t give you a six. I think you’re a five, but you’d have to go to a proper language institute to verify that.”

The ICAO level 4 was probably grandfathered in March 2008, when the LPE requirements came into effect, and was initially valid to March 2011 (3 years; the validity of a level 4 was later extended to 4 years).

So the reason that your 5 was never registered, may well be that the UK flight examiner was not authorized to hand out fives.

Backpacker, thank you for your remarks.

It has been a very interesting day. My objective was to convert my JAR FCL license to EASA. The CAA could not proceed with the conversions, since the LPE was not current.

The first lady I spoke to this morning, stated that I had a LPE Level 4, which was valid for 3 years (actually according to the CAP804 it’s 4 years) and she told me it was not possible to convert unless I had a level 6 LPE. Which is not true either.

Back at the airport I began to investigate the matter more closely, therefore I went back to the CAA office. Fortunately a more competent lady helped me this time and gave the right answers to my questions.

Back in 2009/2010 my examiner didn’t want to give me a level 6, since I am not a native speaker. Therefore he rated me with a 5 (with a 6 year renewal period). Back then the level was not stated on the license. It simply says: “Language Proficiency: English” on my license (issued in June 2010). Therefore, I did not have the urge to renew the LPE.

I asked the kind lady how I could have known I had a level 4 and what the expiry date was. Her answer was that I couldn’t have known unless I phoned them. Next I asked her what the best way was to proceed. She mentioned that I never would be granted a Level 6, since I’m not a native speaker. To receive a level 4 or 5 I have to go to a language school, as suggested by Backpacker. Only UK school can rate me.

I asked her if I obtain a Dutch RT license, with LPE. This is apparently not possible on my UK license. I could convert to a Dutch license, but this would cost me at least EUR 500,- and I potentially lose my IMCr.

I thought EASA would bring more consistency in licensing in Europe, but I was wrong….

jkv
EHEH

So the reason that your 5 was never registered, may well be that the UK flight examiner was not authorized to hand out fives.

You are probably right.

jkv
EHEH

She mentioned that I never would be granted a Level 6, since I’m not a native speaker.

What a joke. I know quite a few Dutch people whose command of English puts 80%+ of the UK population to shame.

It is also totally absurd not to record the level on the license. But hey – that’s the CAA / EASA and all the rest of Europe for you!

I am not a native speaker and got a level 6 by an english school last year. Go figure..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I am not a native speaker and got a level 6 by an english school last year. Go figure..

Same here. American school, level 6 from the CAA examiner.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I got my level 6 from a non native speaker who is less fluent than I am

JKV,

This is very unfortunately. It entirely comes from the fact that the UK CAA don’t print the level number on your licence.

It is also totally absurd not to record the level on the license. But hey – that’s the CAA / EASA and all the rest of Europe for you!
Nope! I think that the UK CAA is unique in Europe in not printing the level. They should be ashamed.

I could convert to a Dutch license, but this would cost me at least EUR 500,- and I potentially lose my IMCr.
I don’t think that there is any ‘potentially’ about it. If you convert it, I think it’s pretty much guaranteed that you lose it.

Your examiner thought you level 5 last time. Is their any chance that you’re almost a 6? Your written English is perfect. If there was any chance that you’re close to a level 6, then if I was you, I’d try to be assessed by an Examiner first. If they can only give you a 6, and you’re borderline, then human nature being what it is, there is a pretty good chance that they’ll be generous and give it to you, and then you’re finished with this business forever ;)

If you have access to a Dutch UK CAA examiner, they too are more likely to be generous, or any UK CAA examiner who isn’t a native English speaker themselves.

Best of luck with getting this sorted. What a waste of a day and expense. But before going to the language school, consider trying to get it sorted permanently.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message