Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Urgent question on Class 2 medical renewal (and UK CAA not accepting some medicals)

Morning All,

This is a long shot ask, I appreciate! I’m hoping that some AMEs or friends of AMEs lurk on this forum.

As some know, I live and work in Germany at the moment, with a UK issued EASA PPL.

I had an appointment booked with an AME for tomorrow, who due to fully understandable personal reasons, has had to cancel the appointment.

I write this from the bus to the airport (EDDS), as I can’t cancel or change my ticket. So I decided to fly over anyway as, in any case, I am catching up with friends for the weekend.

I arrive at Heathrow roughly 11:30Z and need to be back at Heathrow on Monday at about 14:30Z latest.

Is there an AME lurking on here, or someone who knows an AME in the Heathrow area, out to a reasonable radius, who could help me out, either: this afternoon; tomorrow; or Monday morning?

With very best regards

Jon

EDHS, Germany

Why don’t you use an AME in Germany? Any AME in EASA land should be approved for it.

Looks like the UK CAA also has search function on their website where you can find one:
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=21

Good luck!

ESSZ, Sweden

Isn’t there the regulation that you license has to be issued from the state of your medical? Or have I not fully understood that regulation.

I thought the same as you a few years ago when I came out to Germany and back then it wasn’t possible.

EDHS, Germany

Isn’t there the regulation that your license has to be issued by the same member state as the medical? Or have I not fully understood that regulation.

I thought the same as you a few years ago when I came out to Germany and back then it wasn’t possible to have different issuing states for license and medical.

EDHS, Germany

No, I have a Dutch license and my medical is renewed every year in Spain. The Spanish AME does send the results to the Dutch authorities though, for information only.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I have also had it issued by another state. It worked fine. If you call an AME in Germany he/she should know. If they do not accept it, then that is quite a concern for the whole EU way of thinking.

ESSZ, Sweden

I just lost the link, but it is available under the UK CAA guidance for license issue.

I’ll post it later when I’m on a faster connection. I’ve only managed to get GPRS right now and it’s slooooooow!!!!

The medical has to be UK for a UK issued PPL and there are issues transferring German medical records from the LBA to other member states due to enhanced privacy regulations.

The EU isn’t always straight forward :-)

EDHS, Germany

Isn’t there the regulation that your license has to be issued by the same member state as the medical?

There most certainly was such a thing, in the form of the license having to be issued by the same CAA as was in charge of your medical records. This was widely publicised especially by the UK CAA who claimed it was done to curb “medical tourism”.

I don’t know today’s official position but have heard a number of reports as per aart’s post #5 i.e. you can get it done elsewhere but the stuff gets sent to your “license-issue CAA” and it appears they have the right to refuse to accept it.

There is an AME near Stansted Airport – Aviation Medica. Peter Orton – he does both CAA an FAA medicals. He does mine.

There should be a bus between Heathrow and Stansted. There certainly is between Gatwick and Stansted.

There is a well known medical practice at Gatwick but for obvious reasons (the CAA HQ are there) most people don’t go anywhere near it They are also pricey – a friend paid £300 for a completely straight FAA Class 3 renewal.

there are issues transferring German medical records from the LBA to other member states due to enhanced privacy regulations.

Last I heard, this prevented the recognition of German medicals, especially post the Germanwings debacle.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have just got this from a guy “in the system” in the UK:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

italianjon wrote:

Isn’t there the regulation that your license has to be issued by the same member state as the medical? Or have I not fully understood that regulation.

No. I have been renewing in one country for a license issued in a different country for quite a few years now.

Here are the relevant parts of Part-MED:
MED.A.001 Competent Authority
(1) the authority designated by the Member State where the AMEs have their principal place of practice;

MED.A.010 Definitions
Licensing authority means the competent authority of the Member State that issued the licence, or to which a person applies for the issue of a licence, or, when a person has not yet applied for the issue of a licence, the competent authority in accordance with this Part,

MED.A.025 Obligations of AeMC, AME, GMP and OHMP

(b) After completion of the aero-medical examinations and/or assessment, the AeMC, AME, GMP and OHMP shall:
(4) in the case of applicants for a medical certificate, submit without delay a signed, or electronically authenticated, report to include the assessment result and a copy of the medical certificate to the licensing authority
(c) AeMCs, AMEs, GMPs and OHMPs shall maintain records with details of medical examinations and assessments performed in accordance with this Part and their results in accordance with national legislation.

So here is how it goes:

• You are examined by a “foreign” AME
  • The AME makes a determination on whether you are fit and what limitations to apply
  • The AME issues the medical certificate
  • The AME sends a copy of the medical certificate issued, the examination forms and any supporting documentation to your licensing authority after having made a copy for his/her records.

What I found is that the AMEs do not know about this so you have to “educate” them

Last Edited by Aviathor at 10 Mar 10:02
LFPT, LFPN
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message