Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Vacuum AI worn out

CD135 wrote:

Repair would be around € 700,- , overhaul is somewhat higher, but the instrument is tested and brought to factory specs.

Why not ask the shop what they recommend after they received the instrument? At that point they likely have a good insight in the overall status, when generally good except for bearing, they would repair, if there is more wear, the would advise you overhaul.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I think you will find it is 2x that if they actually change the bearings, which they really should, especially as there is no legal way to “repair” (i.e. oil) them…

I just had a Sigmatek vac AH overhauled by them. Cost was £295 + VAT & postage. It was totally kaput but it came back like new, with paperwork.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

295 seems cheap.

Back to the original question about the EDO instrument, are they one and the same as SigmaTek now?

295 seems cheap.

Well, not really. We have to add 15 quid postage & packing each way, so that makes about 325. Then the Government adds 20% profit for doing f*** all. Then our maintenance organisation has to earn something to pay CAA fees and taxes, and perhaps a little left over to feed and clothe their bairns, so let’s say another 30%. Then we apply the current real rate of exchange for services, which is about 1.25 EUR/GBP.

So, 325 * 1.2 * 1.3 * 1.25 = 634 Euros, which isn’t so different from the 700 Euros quoted above.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

ortac wrote:

Back to the original question about the EDO instrument, are they one and the same as SigmaTek now?

Yes, SigmaTek was founded out of EDO-AIRE.

Regards

Frank

EDFM

Another vote for the overhaul repair. Especially if your is one with A/P output, which seems to increase replacement cost quite a bit.

My horizon did something strange on departure, tumbling, and fixed itself. I “explained” this in terms of moving the aeroplane on the ground. About 50 Hrs later I was in Sweden, 10 Hrs into a 50 Hr trip, when it tumbled again and never stopped tumbling for the next 40 Hrs. Which was irritating.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message