Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Valid medical to renew SEP?

So did we come to a conclusion here? Reason I ask is that I may find myself in a similar situation in January. For logistical reasons it looks like I’ll do my medical a few days after the bi-annual reval flight w an instructor (that’s for the EASA license) if that’s legal. Thoughts?

Last Edited by 172driver at 11 Dec 19:56

I have a friend who lost his medical this year after a surgery. He did a PC 4 months after without any problems since it was dual command.

Last Edited by Jonas at 10 Nov 09:30
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Archie wrote:

It’s pretty well industry standard that you can’t carry out a prof check without a valid medical.

I believe the opposite is true. Skill Test requires a medical, Proficiency Checks not. I have no reference though. But pilots I know have maintained their ratings this way, without a valid medical.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Noe wrote:

Seems horrible from a safety point of view. How is the person going to keep current?

On the one hand. However the other hand is, how long after the simulator session will he get his medical back??? I.e. the sim session may be create a false sense of currency/recency. I can sort of see why they would refuse.

Better would be: get the medical back, book a sim session and complete, then go fly (with an instructor if still lacking competency).

By the way basic regulation Article 7 says:
Except when under training, a person may only act as a pilot if he or she holds a licence and a medical certificate appropriate to the operation to be performed.

So it seems that you can train without a medical, and I don’t think that applies to the Prof Check.

Last Edited by Archie at 09 Nov 11:38

All we now need is sensible CAAs who do not overinterpret the regs beyond or sometimes even against the clear intent of the regulator. A simple “ombudsman” at EASA would be fantastic and resolve most of the issues gold plating regs still causes.

Biggin Hill

NorFlyer wrote:

The fact that EASA is continually willing to improve on the regs is a huge improvement from JAR imho.

that’ true, and it seems that this is a general move ofr GA (i.e. all aspects of the regulation) according to what is being said during EASA roadshows

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Cobalt wrote:

is fortunately about to be changed

Good to know. The fact that EASA is continually willing to improve on the regs is a huge improvement from JAR imho.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

This badly written piece of regulation, which as it stands would require you to hand in your licence the day your medical expires, and as written prevents a CPL holder to exercise PPL privileges while only holding a class 2 medical, is fortunately about to be changed so it only requires the medical at licence issue, and then to exercise the privileges of…., which makes it clear that training and paperwork can happen.

In the meantime, it depends on whether he local CAA follows the letter of the reg, or couldn’t give a toss.

Biggin Hill

Piotr_Szut wrote:

I think that the medical is mandatory only if you want to exercise your PPL privileges.

That is what I think too. I have done proficiency checks in France for a number for years now, sent in my paperwork to the Norwegian CAA and nobody has ever once asked me for my medical certificate.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 07 Nov 18:30
LFPT, LFPN

He is to renew his SEP(A) based on experience, within the next 10 days and asked if I could fly the 1 hr DI with him.
Easa calls it a revalidation, not a renewal.

FCL.015 says: (a) An application for the issue, revalidation or renewal of pilot licences and associated ratings and certificates shall be submitted to the competent authority in a form and manner established by this authority. The application shall be accompanied by evidence that the applicant complies with the requirements for the issue, revalidation or renewal of the licence or certificate as well as associated ratings or endorsements, established in this Part and Part-Medical.
It’s about the application process, not about the flight. So I think you may fly with your client (e.g. I took my CPL skill test without a valid medical, and EASA was already there).
The question remains whether you may sign his licence for revalidation or not. An instructor who signs the licence acts on behalf of the CAA, it’s the application process, so I think that according to FCL.015 you may not endorse the licence as long as the medical is not valid. If the medical is renewed after the 24 months period has elapsed, may you still endorse the licence for revalidation if the training flight was done in time? I think not.

And Part-Medical, MED.A.030: (c) Applicants for and holders of a private pilot licence (PPL), a sailplane pilot licence (SPL), or a balloon pilot licence (BPL) shall hold at least a Class 2 medical certificate.
I think that the medical is mandatory only if you want to exercise your PPL privileges.

25 Posts
Sign in to add your message