Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AF447

IIRC one of the quirks of the swept wing is that stall starts at the tips and progresses inward, which means the lift moves forward as the stall progresses further raising the nose until the wing is completely stalled and it is sitting pretty stable at an extreme AoA. Add to that thrust vectors that raises the nose more and a stabilizer as stalled as the wing… Deep stall with a straight wing was recoverable with some effort as described above, has anyone on the forum experienced the same with a swept wing?

ESG..., Sweden

Josh, it was John Deakin, aka Pelicans Perch.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BB, where did he post that? It would always be nice to have a link to the original.

John certainly knows what deep stall is and from what he describes, it may well be that. The airplane is pitched up and the elevator is insufficient to correct that. The T-Tail makes this worse, granted, and if you add the aft engines that won’t help either, but T-Tails are not the only ones who can under certain conditions develop a deep stall.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

http://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=97358&start=60

There you go. I lifted it from Beechtalk, but he had already posted it in another forum. He certainly knows what he is talking about…..

EGPF Glasgow

Sorry that did not come out as a link….

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 26 Sep 17:27
EGPF Glasgow

Yea, John does certainly know that. I don’t know many folks who have flown more and more different airplanes of all sorts.

Unfortunately that forum is closed to visitors.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

… which is?

Ailerons will still work……………..

Forever learning
EGTB

Supposedly, the way out is to use ailerons to roll the plane onto its side to drop the nose and allow for the airspeed to increase before conducting a normal stall/spiral recovery.

EGTK Oxford

Deep stall is just a myth. I have never read about any verifiable unrecoverable deep stalls except in some exotic fighter aircraft or prototype “X-aircraft”. That is, except one of Burt Rutans designs, where the combination of aft CG and “wrong” canard lead to an unrecoverable configuration (the test pilot recovered by leaving his seat and crawling as far fwd as he could beneath the panel). Besides, a flat spin is every bit as “unrecoverable”, yet it is done on a regular basis in every aerobatic competition. I put this is the same box as “bumble bees defies the laws of aerodynamics”, essentially pure nonsense based on misinterpretation of what initial was said about the subject.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving, you are wrong. Read up on accidents to G-ASHG and G-ARPY, both T-tail airliners under development with experienced test pilots on board.

Subsequent development of stick shakers and stick pushers was designed to prevent aircraft from entering these undesirable areas of the envelope. The phenomenon does exist. It is mentioned in aerodynamic textbooks I have at home, and in all sorts of other training material. I fly a T-tail aircraft that had ventral fins added specifically to counteract the aircraft’s tendency to enter deep stall and avoid the need for a stick pusher. This design intention is clearly stated in the POH.

London area
Sign in to add your message