Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Venice Lido LIPV

I remember looking up a trip the group took to Italy then onto Croatia with destination Greece. I also remember that airports were looked up near Venice however it was scratched in favor of Portoroz.

I am doing some preliminary planning for a possible trip to Venice and would like some info on airports to fly into.

LIPV is grass and VFR as well as short 900m. I will have a full complement of passengers so while not at gross 300lbs shy of it. So I dont want to fly in there for that reason. Grass, height, wet, possible ruts and VFR only too many variables.

LIPH with a train ride of 1 hr seems like a nice GA airport. Anyone have info on it? Or possible alternative?

KHTO, LHTL

I went to Padova and it worked fine, 5 Minutes with the Taxi to the train Station and 45 Minutes later at the Venice Main Station for just a couple of bugs. The transport from LIPV is more expensive and need the same time!

Last Edited by Cheshunt at 19 Oct 16:20
EDAZ

Hi Gene,
900 meters at sea level! I would go to St. Nicolo, just because it’s a great experience. I’ve only been there years ago once, but from what I hear the runway is smooth and ok, and AFAIK there’s no obstacles …

Padova is no longer IFR.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Flyer59 wrote:

AFAIK there’s no obstacles

Unless there’s a big ship crossing the approach path

LSZK, Switzerland

tomjnx wrote:

Unless there’s a big ship crossing the approach path
Pilot
tomjnx

Ha! Had that once in Aveiro (LPAV). The approach plates stated something like ‘caution, ships crossing canal on final app’ and sure enough, just I landed a big container ship came along! Extended my downwind…..

Couple of factors I need to be sure I can leave and arrive more or less on time so would like an Instrument Approach. Also 900 m is questionable if the grass is high and the ground is soft after a rain and I have 6 on board.

I just checked and the AIP is a little confusing looks like there is an NDB approach and RR has a NDB plate for it.

KHTO, LHTL

Regarding smoothness, I would give that runway maybe a 6/10. You could definitely feel some jolts.

But if possible I also recommend flying into LIPV for the experience. Also the hotels on Lido are less pricey.

We landed in LIPV on september 7 and took off on september 9.
We were 3 on board with full fuel and luggage.
The runway is smooth and 900 meters are very comfortable for a DA40 at MTOW 1200 kg.
There is a bus to Lido Vaporetto Station (we actually walked there, about 1 km). The airport offers
a private boat that can take you directly to San Marco for around 50 euros.
We consider Padova LIPU as the best alternate.

Jean
EBST, Belgium

I really want to land here. If I ever get my machine over there, I want to get that done.

Is there a potential fly-in possibility for next year then? I hope it’s not off the cards. Even JasonC can get his Mustang in there, no problem.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 20 Oct 00:10
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message