Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR Alps Crossing

Has anyone looked at the title of this thread lately?

Forever learning
EGTB

Yes, sorry to hijack the thread – i thought about flying VFR first, sorry

Has anyone looked at the title of this thread lately?

FWIW, I don’t mind. The wind doesn’t care about flight rules, anyway.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Rhino wrote:

For flying IN the alps, I’m still torn between those saying “do it, it’s fine” and those saying “don’t do it before you’ve done it 5 or 6 times with an experienced mountain pilot”.

I did it 2 times with an experienced mountain pilot (there and back) via Brenner before doing it on my own. 2 times was enough, learned a lot, and have done several times alone since, but I am quite careful with the weather. (Was in a 150 HP 172). I’ve also done Alpine gliding. Do be careful with wind. And cloud. I tried getting through Brenner from Bolzano with my son in a 182 (CAVOK on the Austrian side), but had to turn back 5 NM from the pass because of scattered clouds at my level (did not want to fly above them) clustering in the passes. In perfect weather, it’s incredibly easy and beautiful. Fly marginal weather only if you have lived an honorable and decent life for which you expect no punishment!!!!

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 01 Jun 18:15
Tököl LHTL

I know this is an old thread…. however in the hope that WhiskeyPapa is still attending.
I am planning a first crossing of the Alps this year and would like to receive some mountain flying instruction.

WhiskeyPapa, might I be so bold as to ask who you used and where they were based.
Also, would other Forum members have any suggestions for Mountain Flying Instructors on the Northern Alpine side. Perhaps in the vicinity of Memmingen or the Brenner Pass.
Thanks in advance.

United Kingdom

For mountain flying training in the area it is not that easy, only experts sit down there near ;-) :
Matthias Dolderer Crew – EDMT Tannheim – https://www.edmt.de/flugschule/weiterbildung/alpeneinweisung/ (5.7nm West Memmingen)
Michael Bergmann Crew – EDMK Kempten Durach – https://www.alpenflug.de/alpeneinweisung.html (18nm South Memmingen)
both present very good trainings.

Last Edited by at 17 Jan 08:01

Dejwu, thank you for the suggestions, I will follow up both of them.

United Kingdom

Not sure if this has been discussed on this thread, but a crossing through the Western (French-Italian) Alps from the Geneva area is roughly:

• LFLI (Annemasse)
  • LFHZ (Sallanches)
  • Take the valley just West of Megeve altiport past Les Contamines (be careful not to enter the restricted areas) and ridges South cross toward …
  • Bourg-Saint-Maurice
  • Turn toward the Courmayeur in the East (follow road D1090 over mountain pass)
  • Fly down Aosta valley toward
  • Ivrea (near Torino)

Obviously this requires relatively high ceiling (there’s two ridges to cross at about 6500 ft and 7200 ft) and not too high winds. However, it’s hard to imagine a more scenic route (directly past Mont Blanc!).

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

onfinal wrote:

Also, would other Forum members have any suggestions for Mountain Flying Instructors on the Northern Alpine side.

Not close to Memmingen, but I can recommend the Aéroclub de Megève (LFHM aerodrome), especially if you speak some French (or are willing to ). Excellent instruction in summer and winter on Jodel Mousquetaires, and a superb mountain flying environment with probably the highest concentration of mountain airstrips (altiports and altisurfaces) in Europe. The focus will be on landing on those mountain airstrips though, not necessarily on mountain flying airmanship (although will be a side effect of the training).

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

Thomas Dietrich, he is one of the guys flying out of Locher airfield and can instruct and check on the MOU

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
60 Posts
Sign in to add your message