Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR Johannesburg to Jersey

Hi, i am planning to fly a PA28-235F from Rand Airport, Johannesburg (FAGM) to Jersey (EGJJ) in early June this year. We are struggling to find suitable airfields that sell AVGAS. A clearance company is investigating this for us however I wanted to check whether this group can offer any advice on acquiring AVGAS in Africa and what route we should fly to, both east coast and west coast routes have their own concerns.

The aircraft has 4 tanks, 2 main tanks and 2 tip tanks giving a total of 84USG and a 100USG ferry tank has also been fitted. I am uncertain how much of that 84USG is usable (does this group know?) but I have taken a conservative approach and based my calculations on 154USG useable giving a range of 1,400 miles (140 mph at 10 hours per day at 15USG per hour).

Many thanks

Jersey EGJJ, Channel Islands

There used to be a guy posting here called AeroPlus (haven’t seem him post in a while),who has done that trip, IIRC even a couple of times. If you search his handle on here and send him a PM he should be able to help.

I personally have fueled up with AvGas in Namibia with the northernmost point being Opuwo. That, however, was some years ago. Having worked in Africa for years, I would suspect the eastern route to be somewhat easier, as there is considerable GA (piston) activity all the way to Kenya. Thereafter, however…..

In any case, certainly an amazing trip, make sure you post a trip report here!

You should speak to aeroplus.

EGTK Oxford

MartinEGJJ wrote:

Hi, i am planning to fly a PA28-235F from Rand Airport, Johannesburg (FAGM) to Jersey (EGJJ) in early June this year. We are struggling to find suitable airfields that sell AVGAS. A clearance company is investigating this for us however I wanted to check whether this group can offer any advice on acquiring AVGAS in Africa and what route we should fly to, both east coast and west coast routes have their own concerns.

Several people writing about similar trips had been ordering AVGAS drums to the airports and refueled using a hand pump. One drum holds 53 USG. Quite expensive, of course, but when you have no choice….

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Most people who fly across Africa use overflight agents to organise this stuff – also overflight permits. I have the names of several here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I flew to Cape Town a couple of years ago, outbound by the west coast route and inbound by the east coast route. With your range, it should be possible and the eastern route is slightly easier for avgas. Best to chat through the details so PM if you would like to do this.

EGNC, United Kingdom

@JulietBravo could you please describe how you arranged the avgas?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You should ask this guy.
Although he’ll tell you some of the stops were very sketchy…

ESMK, Sweden

My co-pilot and I wrote an article for the Summer 2016 Instrument Pilot. This is available for anyone to download and read at www.pplir.org; at the header page, click on ‘Magazine’ and scroll down to IP 109. This gives the basic details; probably not much has changed since but any contemplating doing this trip now should obviously check.

EGNC, United Kingdom

Jan Brill from Pilot und Flugzeug (a German flight magazine and webpage) and Arnim Stief a German ferry pilot would be able to give you all the details ( in English, don‘t worry) as they have organized a group flight to South Africa about 2 years ago. If I am not mistaken they went the easterly route. It is quite adventurous in some places only cash might resolve a bureaucratic impasse
You will find Jan Brill at www.pilotundflugzeug.de

LSZH
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message