Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR maps Senegal and Mauretania?

Does anyone have or can help me get VFR charts of Senegal and Mauretania?
Thanks.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Are you sure they exist? ISTR – like as not from this same forum – that some African countries only allow IFR flying. OTOH one reads reports about microlights flying all down Africa…

Last Edited by at 24 Sep 15:21
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

TPC and ONC? The usual stuff…

I am not up to date on these but scanned copies are online in various places. Looking at a 2004 writeup of mine, I have this and the other links are now dead.

Based on posts here, I believe @vrh flies down there; he might have good contacts.

Yes; many many ferry pilot reports from Africa are that only IFR is really understood in some parts, which in theory, ahem, ahem, needs an IR and an aircraft certified for IFR which is why AFAIK all the record breaking flights (UK to Joburg, etc) got temporary IFR approvals, issued with an understanding that the IFR bit won’t be practiced in Europe because the airframe is not legal for it for the usual reasons. They probably went IFR because to break records you need to fly in a straight line as far as possible, and you can’t exactly do it under the radar (a joke because there isn’t radar coverage in much of it ).

OTOH so many people have been down to Morocco VFR that there may not be an issue at all.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would take an old ONC/TPC/JOG chart from here (or any topo map of the region) for the terrain, and superimpose the actual facilities from e.g. Jeppesen Flitestar and maybe a few other sources like ASECNA. I’ve done such collation for a colleague before.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Great @ultranomad. Exactly what i was looking for !!

Abeam the Flying Dream

Great link – I have updated my 2004 writeup and my main website

There used to be an outfit called Aeroplanner which published them in GEOTIFF which was directly usable in Oziexplorer, georeferenced to make a moving map.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is no official VFR maps for mauritania and Senegal..
When I’m going to Senegal, we follow the coastline. We follow IFR route in VFR and put it that way in flight plan.
Chart of the autorized VFR route:
Mauritania
Senegal

The plane we fly as a G1000 so easy to see the TMA and CTR.
As posted above check the ASCENA website. You will find VAC and AIP…

Both country need overflight permit..

Romain

Last Edited by Romain at 24 Sep 16:09
LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

By the way @Peter, Morocco is very easy to fly, as a complete AIP and VFR Sectional Chart…
You need to follow VFR route but great landscape and amazing places to visit.

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Merci Romain.
We are working on the overflight permits.

Abeam the Flying Dream

@Niner_Mike Did you filed the applications by yourself or did you use a company ?
Usualy I do it myself buy it’s get harder every year…
Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message