Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR on top, but not as we know it

OK, from the reactions I conclude that many pilots are sissies. Probably all of them, as the rest won’t admit their fear of heights..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I hate heights, I can’t sit on the edge of anything more than 5 meters high, but I don’t feel a thing when flying. It’s strange for me, too.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

I don’t like heights…

in such situations I do always say “I am always nervous before getting above 500 ft AGL”..but I would be nervous under this situation as well.

Last Edited by Michal at 22 Feb 19:00
LKKU, LKTB

I don’t like heights…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Should I change the thread title to “VMC on top”, as “VFR on top” is a nonexistent concept in Europe?

Ah, busted. I shouldn’t write about stuff I don’t know much about.

Are there any more of you like me?

I don’t have much trouble with heights but I’d say this is perfectly normal. I looked at a few more of these ‘roofing’ videos and some made me cringe as well. I would think the only people that have no trouble at all have either had a lot of exposure to heights in real life or maybe lack imagination?

Also I find it quite sursprising how quickly one gets used to things that seem crazy at first. On my first parachute jump it was pretty quiet in the aeroplane. After only a couple of jumps it was back to normal as the aeroplane climbed. The same with aerobatics. The first few tailslides are pretty exciting but this goes away quite quickly.

Last Edited by it_flies at 19 Feb 21:13
EHLE

Should I change the thread title to “VMC on top”, as “VFR on top” is a nonexistent concept in Europe?

Nope. These guys are in China ;-)

Should I change the thread title to “VMC on top”, as “VFR on top” is a nonexistent concept in Europe?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I wouldn’t consider I have vertigo, but I could feel a sensation in my legs just watching that video. I don’t have a fear of heights in a plane or somewhere else relatively stable (even if I knew I was going to do aerobatics which isn’t stable), but I don’t like heights looking over ledges on tall building or climbing something higher than an average ladder. I didnt particularly like parasailing when I did it a few years ago. I think most people have these symptoms though.

Just looking at this video is nauseating to me. I suffer from vertigo, even standing on a ladder.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but apparently such kind of vertigo has nothing to do with the fear of heights while flying, of which I have none whatsoever, not flying low, nor high, nor in a closed cockpit or open cockpit, nor at high speed or hovering in a helicopter.
Are there any more of you like me? The explanation?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

They are climbers, not base jumpers. I have done some climbing and parachuting myself in the past. But without a safety line I’d probably rather jump with a chute than climb back down.

EHLE
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message