Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR transit through Albania

Does anyone have any recent-ish experience with VFR transiting through Albania?

Specifically along the coast from Croatia to Greece.

EGSX

It has been some time ago, but I have been flying from Greece north along the coast through Albanian airspace towards my destination Vienna and experienced no problem whatsoever. I think that I was in contact with Tirana Approach the whole time who were accommodating.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 28 May 09:50
EDLE, Netherlands

@AeroPlus thank you. To confirm this was VFR?

I’ve just read the odd post that they get twitchy about VFR traffic sometimes.

All I could find in the AIP was that you need to have a valid flight plan filed 2hr before reaching their border.

EGSX

TimR wrote:

I’ve just read the odd post that they get twitchy about VFR traffic sometimes.

Like almost all places they just want to constrain VFR to specific routes/heights?
The “preferred VFR routes” may not be obvious in the AIP (mostly sits on ATC desk)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

My experience, from a very long time ago, is that Albanian ATC did what almost nobody does and actually looked at the route on a VFR FP and they wanted traffic on specific routes. In my case it was a few miles offshore. Montenegro did the same.

So, while I flew all the way down the Adriatic at say FL085 (i.e. not following the low level ADRIA1 route) I had to follow specific routes going past these two.

But as I say this was a long time ago. Some people have flown down that way recently, VFR, but I can’t remember them. If I do I will see if I can dig them up.

One tends to find that these things improve over time. There used to be a lot of NATO restricted airspace down there, for example.

@denni and @benoit might know more, if they are still around.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My memory from 10 years ago was that Tirana Radar was comforting and without any restrictions for my Greece to Tivat VFR flight.

LGGG

It was VFR and following the coast line with bad weather and low ceiling. No problems with Tirana Approach at that time.

EDLE, Netherlands

I too some years ago, but I can’t remember any problems flying VFR to Tirana and Montenegro, very straight forward.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

We passed the airspace of Tirana on our Greece trip at Eastern. No problem at all. Tirana control took us from the Greece guys and delivered us to the next region. Absolutely smooth.

EDDS , Germany

Last week from Skopje to Tivat.

I had to be flexible due to some cloud build up.
And so were they.

No restrictions, no airways, just wanted to know where I was and what were my intentions.

Different issue: no VFR through Kosovo ! FP was rejected (by Budapest handling FPs on behalf of whoever ;-) )

Last Edited by ch.ess at 28 May 14:23
EDM_, Germany
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message