Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR trip from EHLE to LSZU, and back – looking for advice.

@Vladimir, thanks for the extensive information. I’ve contacted all the airports and the were all very friendly and welcome us on our trip. Birrfeld has parking place and the custom form is send in (will Phone them tomorrow morning for activating customs). The overhead entry circle is new to me. Looks like a (stacked) holding pattern, they told me. The weather also looks very nice for VFR flying. So, everything is prepared and off we go!

EHLE (Lelystad - NL), Netherlands

CCO709 wrote:

he overhead entry circle is new to me. Looks like a (stacked) holding pattern, they told me.

You just fly over the beginning of runway 08 where you can see the landing T (you will most probably hear others on the frequency and will know the landing runway way before that). Then if there is nobody in beginning/middle downwind, you immediately descend to 2000ft in your first “circle”, i.e. you don’t even complete one of them and join the corresponding downwind. If there is someone in downwind, then you remain at 2500ft and orbit there till downwind is free. It is a good idea to look towards the beginning of the downwind when you start your descent and enter it yourself – I once got into a very close proximity of another airplane which I didn’t see, which can easily happen with 5-7 airplanes on the frequency reporting all the time (this is why btw you don’t announce your taxi at Birrfeld, to keep the frequency less congested). Back to the overhead circle, if there is someone already in it, you stay at a higher altitude, 500ft separation.

Here are example calls you should make:
- Birrfeld airdrome, HB-YMU, sector north, 4000ft, inbound
- HB-YMU, overhead circle, 3000ft, remaining at this altitude (if there is traffic below you)
- HMU, overhead circle, 3000ft, descending to 2500ft
- HMU, overhead circle, 2500ft, joining left hand downwind runway 08, for full stop
- HMU, end of downwind / base 08
- HMU, final 08 (for full stop)
That’s it, no runway vacated, taxi, parking.

When leaving:
- Birrfeld airdrome HB-YMU, radio check (during runup or while waiting for the oil temperature to rise). Someone (usually the office but sometimes another plane) will answer with “Loud and clear”
- HMU, lining up runway 08, departure via sector north
- HMU, beginning downwind, climbing in downwind
- HMU, sector north, 4000ft, outbound (you can even skip that one, but I like to inform the others I am out of their way)

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message