Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR trip planning: Rotterdam - Ravenna in May

Depending on the actual Italian rules in two or three weeks, and of course the weather, I am planning to visit a colleague near Cesena/Ravenna; the general idea would be to leave Rotterdam towards the Schwaben/Allgäu area and make a refueling stop e.g. in Biberach EDMB or Leutkirch EDNL and probably stay overnight at my family’s, afterwards routing more or less directly over the Alps in good weather or following the along the valleys via the Reschenpass, Meran, Bozen into the river flatlands with either Ravenna LIDR or Forlì LIPK as destination.

From what I gathered, neither of these airfields has Avgas, and it seems that maybe Ravenna as a smaller and seemingly more grassroots field might be less bureaucratic than Forlì; since Venice LIPV would be only about half an hour away, the idea for the return trip would be to leave in the afternoon from the Cesena area towards LIPV, stay overnight and refuel, and then return either directly or via an intra-German fuel stop (Leutkirch EDNL, Speyer EDRY, Koblenz EDRK) to Rotterdam.

Having crossed the Alps one way or another, and of course depending on the actual cloud situation, will it be possible to plan to stay up high in the Northern Italian class D airspace? Normally I would be happiest to fly at around 7000-9000ft and descend towards the destination since crawling through the haze of the flatlands is not my most favoured option.

EHRD / Rotterdam

In Northern Italy, if you stay east of the line Lake Garda – Parma, you are clear of a airspace A and will very likely be able to cruise at the altitude of your liking. Get clearance for the airspace Delta from Verona Approach.

Ravenna is a nice, laid back airfield. Get PPR from the aeroclub. No, they will likely not sell any 100LL to you, but you can ask. Otherwise, go to Ozzano (fuel with a credit card machine) or, if you want service, go to Padova. Best skip refueling in Italy alltogether. Since shortly, Forli is now open 7 days a week, (they used to be open only on weekdays, for the local flying school), but I don‘t know how well it works for visitors.

I would love to go to Italy too, but have little hopes it will be practicable in May already.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Apr 15:24
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hi,

For now until 30april there is 5 days quarantine, but seems it will be no longer valid after this.

Here is what i found :

http://www.viaggiaresicuri.it/

https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it/returningtoitaly.html

I didn’t found after 30 april, but seems next week we will know…

but there is these exemptions also :
- anyone entering Italy for a period not exceeding 120 hours due to proven needs of work, health or absolute urgency, with the obligation, on expiry of that period, to leave the national territory immediately or, failing that, to begin the period of surveillance and fiduciary isolation;
- crew and travel personnel/hauliers;

LFMD, France
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message