Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

[Video] Plane almost lands on sunbather on beach- Fails landing

Ooops

LGMG Megara, Greece

You will find this right now on the front page (!) of PPRuNe but probably not for long, as they tend to remove general aviation stuff from there quickly.

EDDS - Stuttgart

This was item four on the news here in Canada today.

Are those “posts” signs which read: “Danger, don’t be here”? Pilots undershoot every now and then, particularly into short runways with airplanes which are perhaps being operated into the more demanding side of their landing distance capability. It appears that the person who installed th epost knows that their being hit was a possibility. I have little sympathy for the person lying on the beach there…

Does anyone know if that is Helgoland? It looks like it….

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Does anyone know if that is Helgoland? It looks like it….

It is Helgoland-Düne. I flew there two months ago. Looks like it’s runway 24.

EHLE

I beg to question the thread title: the landing was far from perfect, but “failed landing” is not correct imho. There was damage to the fencing, and likely enough to the PA28 too, not to mention the pilot’s ego; but the plane was landed, in one piece, and could still be operated.

And if the landing was not perfect, I can somehow feel for the pilot: the runway is shortish, with the tiniest bit of beach at each end and then water – I too might come in lower than usual.

NB lots of turbulence about this on the German forums – I even read some calling for the pilot’s blood. Another chap wrote “Doofheit* rulez” and I thought this might apply to the sunbather as well as to (stop, hold it, no more).

@DAR: yes it is, but some prefer to call it Heligoland – folklore is such a nice thing, it should be cherished. And I seem to understand there are not only signposted messages against continued presence, but even some kind of traffic light to control pedestrians’ crossing – I can only imagine these can be operated from the tower.

*stupidity

Last Edited by at 03 Jun 16:06
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

The video is blocked now “on copyright grounds”. Was also blocked on a few other news sites. No doubt there are copies around somewhere (though possibly that is a copyright issue in itself).

Luckily one our more upmarket publications has a different version going. I know I have fallen asleep on a beach, but maybe it was lucky for this guy that he wasn’t aroused (by the plane, I mean) and stuck his head up ! Top tip – don’t sleep near runway thresholds.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/video-terrifying-moment-plane-misses-3636460

Last Edited by PiperArcher at 03 Jun 17:46

You can find it here at the site of the “newspaper” (if you want to call it so) that published it first:
http://www.bild.de/news/leserreporter/helgoland/neues-video-helgoland-36245502.bild.html

People make mistakes, pilots are no exception. Nobody was hurt, the damage to the aircraft minimal. If it gets some of us – me included! – (re-)thinking their short field landing technique, then it has served a purpose! No, you don’t land on a short field coming in low, on the contrary: The steeper the approach, the shorter the landing will be.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I beg to question the thread title: the landing was far from perfect, but “failed landing” is not correct imho. There was damage to the fencing, and likely enough to the PA28 too, not to mention the pilot’s ego; but the plane was landed, in one piece, and could still be operated.

Jan, I do love your Belgian sense of humour! He took out a fence and a nearly killed someone. Of course they shouldn’t have been there but nor should the plane that lined up today in Straubing when I was on short final. Of course he shouldn’t be vilified but it was definitely a failure.

Last Edited by JasonC at 03 Jun 18:31
EGTK Oxford

But he did walk away from the landing, so it must have been a good one

I’ll get my coat… I feel terrible for saying that, as it could have been worse.

EDHS, Germany
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message