Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

View a Europa

Jon, there is no difference in terms of performance between a classic and an XS. What is driving performance (or lower consumption) in an Europa is the cleanliness of the plane, the engine and the propellor.

Go for a Rotax 912ULS (100hp) or 914UL (115hp turbo) and a constant speed woodcomp or airmaster propellor. Never go for a Jabiru or another engine. Anyway, in Europe, Rotax is the leader! Mine is a monowheel with a 914 and an airmaster. 120knots IAS at about 20l/hour is normal cruise. If I want to go faster, 140knots IAS at 25l/hour is also an option.

If you want to speak to Europa builders/flyers, go to the Europa forum
You can also get plenty of information from the Europa club website

The 3 Europa based in Belgium (including the chap that Jan was talking about) will fly from EBLE on Sun morning (destination unknown at this time). Feel free to send me a PM if you want to fly in.

Belgium

there is no difference in terms of performance between a classic and an XS.

Interesting… I thought there would be. If I have done my homework right I thought the XS had a larger wing. So basically as long as it is an XS monowheel or a Classic monowheel with the tailwheel mod then I should be good to go.

The 3 Europa based in Belgium (including the chap that Jan was talking about) will fly from EBLE on Sun morning (destination unknown at this time). Feel free to send me a PM if you want to fly in.

Ah pants… the bloody sister in law popped a baby the other day so the boss says we must go and visit this weekend. I want to see a Europa!

Last Edited by italianjon at 10 Apr 18:22
EDHS, Germany

Jon,
to explain – “classic” is the original Europa design.
XS is a newer model with multiple improvements. Most important is the difference in wing construction. Classic wing took a lot of effort to build. XS wing is more factory pre-built, taking less work to finish at home and giving less space for homebuilding mistakes.
The larger wing you mentioned is the Motorglider wing. Europa offers wings with 6m wider span that allows to turn off the engine and just glide.

I have some 50 hours by now in Europa XS Mono with Rotax 914, and am really excited. Real airplane with ultralight running cost. Flies beautifully and fast.
The monowheel needs some attention during takeoff and landing, but at the same time allows for really rough strips. And if you take taildragger training prior to Europa, you will manage the monowheel just fine.

I’ve considered buying a Europa monowheel. The cockpit view compared to the Jodel DR1050 was the only negative.
Before travelling to look at one, find out the empty weight on the certificate, and the actual c of g.
Some builders made them far too heavy.
Some are OK for empty weight, but the c of g is too far aft.
Get some taildragger landings on a hard runway before you commit to a mpno – but you’re thinking of a tricycle convention anyway.
PS. The mono seems to have a good rough field reputation. The 80hp one is recommended for short fields.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Get some taildragger landings on a hard runway before you commit to a mpno

I have some Grob 109 time, it was years ago but at least I know that I can fly a tail dragger – I got on well with that. Luckily my club has a PA18 somewhere in the back of the hanger. So I could get checked out on that. Then at least I could bring my taildragger currency back up to date. I would of course also grab an LAA coaching course.

Before travelling to look at one, find out the empty weight on the certificate, and the actual c of g.

I took your advice, and one that I am potentially looking at is 825lbs Empty, 1370 Max AUW. IT looks like it will take 2 full adults with 50 litres of fuel. The empty CoG is 59.70 inches, but I haven’t yet found a good reference. I am sure I will find something soon though.

to explain – “classic” is the original Europa design.
XS is a newer model with multiple improvements. Most important is the difference in wing construction. Classic wing took a lot of effort to build.

Is there any differences in the maintenance? I guess not really, once the wings are assembled there would be very little reason to take them apart, I assume.

EDHS, Germany

If you want to speak to Europa builders/flyers, go to the Europa forum

Amazing forum… Shame I missed a great Europa for sale in Feb… I will have to keep a close eye on this

EDHS, Germany
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message