Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Visiting Cambridge EGSC

As part of my IFR training I hope to visit Cambridge the 14th of February. Weather permitting (bit of a lucky shot UK/February) we hope to arrive later in the morning go to the city for lunch and then back again to Stadtlohn (EDLS).

I’ll be filing Southend as alternate, as suggested on this forum. I’ll be doing a GAR for the inbound flight. Is a GenDec still required or is that linked with the GAR?

Any tips for lunch in Cambridge? Was thinking of a pub lunch…

EHTE, Netherlands

If you are thinking of a pub lunch the one place all pilots will eventually go to is The Eagle – right in the centre and steeped in aviation history.

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 04 Feb 11:05
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Concur with the Eagle. If you like seafood, then it’s the Loch Fyne.

Re Gendec for flights to the Uk. That’s an NL/BE thing. Germany doesn’t have this. But you do have to give the local police at Stadtlohn 24 prior notice.

Some inputs on Cambridge here. And (in German) here.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Feb 11:45
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What is virtually impossible is to eat anything but garbage in walking distance of Cambridge Airport. A cab ride into the centre of town is the best answer.

Once you are there, you are in one for the most cultured cities in the world, and you can have virtually anything. My favourite is the Michelin starred Alimentum, but that is real fine dining. Midsummer House is also Michelin starred and excellent. Hotel du Vin is a step down but superb. You can then gradually step down to Mcdonalds. I recommend using TripAdvisor.

If you have not been to Cambridge before, you should really try to stay there a while. It is literally one of the most beautiful cities in the world. While mid February is not ideal for the weather, it is a good time to avoid the millions of tourists. Try to make friends with someone who has a University credential (I use my University Library card) to get access to the colleges which are closed to the public.

You could spend two days just walking through the colleges and never cease being stunned.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

What is virtually impossible is to eat anything but garbage in walking distance of Cambridge Airport

I would totally agree with that.

Timothy wrote:

A cab ride into the centre of town is the best answer.

You can get a bus from right outside the flying club into town (and back), it runs about every 10 mins or so.

Timothy wrote:

Midsummer House is also Michelin starred and excellent

I agree but you need to be either a lottery winner or in the company of one.

Bobo wrote:

Any tips for lunch in Cambridge? Was thinking of a pub lunch…

I suggest Browns brasserie, not expensive, good food and at least it has some atmosphere, midday you should get a table easy.

https://www.browns-restaurants.co.uk/restaurants/eastofengland/cambridge

Bobo wrote:

Any tips for lunch in Cambridge?

Bobo, the other option is to ask nicely at the flying club for a couple of passes into the ‘works canteen’, food is really good there and no travelling required.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Timothy
I’m curious, how many steps are there down from a Michelin star to McDonald’s? 2? 3? 10?

Tököl LHTL

Infinite actually since McD is not food.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

how many steps

39. Derr.

EGKB Biggin Hill
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message