Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Visiting Koln/Cologne

I’m planning a trip (IFR) to Cologne for 2-3 days in mid-December from the UK, staying in the city centre. It looks as though there are three possible airfields, each with pros and cons:

1. Koln/Bonn EDDK – major airport – might be a bit intimidating – just downloaded about 70pages of STARS, SIDs and approaches. However, I’ve read that despite being a major commercial airport it is welcoming to light GA (SR22 in this case). But that the welcome comes at a cost – around €250. As a plus, good transport links to city centre.

2. Bonn Hangelar EDKB – much less hassle than EDDK, accepts non-Schengen arrivals. VFR only but with possibility of using EDDK for cloud break. But is much further from Cologne city centre. I’d spend much more on taxis, so the cost difference with EDDK would not really be so much?

3. Leverkusen EDKL – from the chart actually appears to be closest to Cologne city centre. But is grass, maybe not such a good idea in December. Also, I can’t see that it will take non-Schengen arrivals.

I’d appreciate some guidance on the best choice from pilots with local knowledge.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

TJ wrote:

2. Bonn Hangelar EDKB – much less hassle than EDDK, accepts non-Schengen arrivals. VFR only but with possibility of using EDDK for cloud break. But is much further from Cologne city centre. I’d spend much more on taxis, so the cost difference with EDDK would not really be so much?

The airfield is directly next to the tram station which provides good access to Cologne via Siegburg. Definitely no need for a taxi. Hangelar is a very good GA airfield.

TJ wrote:

1. Koln/Bonn EDDK – major airport – might be a bit intimidating – just downloaded about 70pages of STARS, SIDs and approaches. However, I’ve read that despite being a major commercial airport it is welcoming to light GA (SR22 in this case). But that the welcome comes at a cost – around €250. As a plus, good transport links to city centre.

That seems all about right. I’ve been there (VFR only). They’re very welcoming, they have a shiny new GAT but someone’s going to have to pay for that and if you land there, it’s you. I’ve paid a bit over 200 EUR for a landing and one night with a PA28. Compared to nearby Düsseldorf, that’s more than twice as expensive for comparable services.

Speaking of which, if you decided to land at EDDL (and to support the local rivalry between Cologne and Düsseldorf a bit, I’d obviously recommend you to do just that ), there is a direct train connection from the airport into Cologne central station which takes less than 40 minutes. According to this recent discussion , make sure not to order handling and slot coordination from Jet Aviation, it seems a bit of a rip-off because it’s definitely unneccessary and they seem not to tell you on the phone.

TJ wrote:

3. Leverkusen EDKL – from the chart actually appears to be closest to Cologne city centre. But is grass, maybe not such a good idea in December. Also, I can’t see that it will take non-Schengen arrivals.

This is a local club – I’m not sure if they’re operating in December at all – but if so, probably only on Sundays. I think it’s not a good idea to plan with this. Also, probably (I’ve not been there myself yet) the hardest to get away from (i.e. taxi?).

EDIT: I’ve just checked their website, there is no indication of a general closure in winter (like some other clubs do) but they are PPR and they have strict lunch break and closing hours. Also, the website confirms there is no public transport nearby so it’s at least a taxi to Leverkusen station to hop on a train to Cologne from there.

Last Edited by Patrick at 08 Nov 12:13
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

EDDK Cologne is easy to get in and out. I’ve flown there a few times IFR with an SR22. The downside is the price. My trips so far have been without overnight stay and the charges were around € 140. For that money you get picked up at the aircraft with a van, driven to the GAT and back. Plus you get the security check, which I personally dislike as a total hassle.

As I’ve been picked up at the GAT by a local contact I had no need for it but supposedly they can also take you over to the main terminal for access to rental cars and public transport.

Leverkusen EDKL might be a good choice during the weekend but not during the week. I’ve tried it once as I had business very close by but there was early morning fog and the place had been waterlogged the night before. On the phone they said there is always somewhere working in the hangars and might let you in. As you known in Germany an airport is closed without a person on the ground being able to operate the fire fighting equipment. But in any case you cannot just fly there.

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 08 Nov 12:41
Frequent travels around Europe

I went there here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The PPL/IR Europe people are planning a trip to Colngne Christmas Market via EGDK 4, 5, 6, December.
Looking at doing the trip, so taking interest. I appreciate there is a cost to EGDK. They also need a Noise Certificate / Declaration which understand can be e-mailed in advance.

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 08 Nov 14:03
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Re Hangelar:

1. Bring your noise certificate; whatever it says, its better than nothing
2. Re transport, the local train doesn’t stop right at the airfield, but it’s not very far, about 700 meters walk (Hangelar Ost). Exit the airfield perimeter via the East Gate.
3. Just mind that Hangelar does not have an airfield retaurant – very weird for what is one of the busiest GA airfields in Germany…
4. Figure a little over an hour from the airfield to Cologne: walk to Hangelar Ost, wait, take local train to Siegburg, wait again, take next train to Cologne

The great thing about going to Cologne via train is that the main station is really in the middle of the city. Step out of the station and you will be right in front of the Dom. Less than 5 minutes walk from there to the riverfront, with loads of restaurants, bars and small hotels (Martinsviertel), as well as the Alter Markt etc.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Can you fly to Hangelaar from the UK?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, and no PNR.

Hangelar EDKB
With all the likely hassle at EDDK figure that hour+ total from EDKB to Cologne could be nearly as quick !!
Agree boscomantico ?

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 08 Nov 19:15
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message