Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Visiting the Lake District park in the UK, which airports?

Hi All,

I am looking to visit Lake District park with some friends this weekend and trying to fit some VFR flying in the middle (the backup is 6h car drives from London), have anyone done this visit by air? which airports?
My choices are Manchester (PA28R & Train) or Troutbeck (PA28R or C172? & Taxi), but I am not sure if there are better alternatives?

To: Pilot_DAR, mh & AeroPlus, I don’t have floats, so the lake is not an option

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Feb 13:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’d say Carlisle EGNC or Kirkbride, if you can rent a car there. Jacko might know for the latter.
Barrow EGNL belongs to BAe Systems so pretty much unusable (that’s what I understood from digging the AIP). It’s a shame, it is fully licensed, has RNAV approaches, in a scenic and remote area.

LFOU, France

Blackpool & car rental ?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Blackpool is also a short walk from Squires Gate station, you can get a trains from there to parts of the Lake District (about 1h 10m to Oxenholme). Carlisle is a taxi ride from its station, but it’s just under an hour on the train to Windermere.

Andreas IOM

I looked at this a couple of years ago, but there’s not many airfields in the area. Troutbeck is convenient but not much transport. Shame about Barrow. I’ve only spent a few days in the Lake District (by car), but for restaurants can definitely recommend the Four and Twenty in Penrith. Avoid bank holiday weekends

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Blackpool Airport was fine but the town itself is to be avoided at all costs.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Seems Blackpool is better option than Barton and has both car rental & train and could go IFR

Carlisle is nice but has a psychological challenge of going past destination, paying more avgas and then struggling to find ground transportation, that has a huge disappointment factor (even if the pax want to overfly the Lakes that can be done from Blackpool )

Capitaine wrote:

I looked at this a couple of years ago, but there’s not many airfields in the area. Troutbeck is convenient but not much transport. Shame about Barrow.

I was thinking the Lakes will be the only place where GA could beat CAT it but actually not that much, yes, Troutbeck does sound ok on the map but could end up very expensive on money & time, besides the name does not sound great in French and smells fishy in English

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Blackpool Airport was fine but the town itself is to be avoided at all costs

I know the reputation, been there twice still I find it better than Manchester, tough will take Brighton anytime someone talks about sea & piers in the UK

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Feb 15:56

Blackpool’s not bad, we had a really nice day out at Blackpool last summer (although we got lunch in St. Annes). Decent public transport walking distance from the airfield so you don’t need the hassle of a car, and an inexpensive all-day all-transport ticket.

Andreas IOM

Ibra wrote:

Troutbeck does sound ok on the map but could end up very expensive on money & time, besides the name does not sound great in French and smells fishy in English

Thanks for the Laugh!

I’ve tried EGNL Barrow Walney Island, but as it’s an airfield operated for a base building nuclear submarines, no luck!

Noe wrote:

I’ve tried EGNL Barrow Walney Island, but as it’s an airfield operated for a base building nuclear submarines, no luck!

Will not try it, I got enough silverts dose in my blood, besides you have to carry a geigger counter instead of CO detector
But, I will keep the place in mind when DA NG2 can take U235/P239 instead of Avgas/JetA

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message