Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wake separation behind a DA42?

Yesterday, prior to my IFR departure out of Shoreham, there was a DA42 which departed on the same track (to GWC).

ATC advised me that London Control requested that I wait for 5 minutes before departing behind the DA42.

The airspace is Class G.

Is this a new procedure?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The reason they ask you to wait is because DA42s are so slow you would quickly catch up with your TB20…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Probably mixed with ATR42

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

ATC advised me that London Control requested that I wait for 5 minutes before departing behind the DA42.

What makes you think this was for wake separation? To me it looks more like some sort of procedural separation.

LSZK, Switzerland

Or Yak-42

EHLE

Definitely not for wake turbulence

EBST, Belgium

This also happens at my homebase (EHLE) when two aircraft are departing at the same time on a Z flightplan. The second aircraft will be assigned a 5 min. delay, when it receives the IFR clearance.

We also had it when flying back from Cambridge with 2 aircraft. Our friends in the second aircraft had to wait for us to be handed over to a Radar unit on the SID, before they got their takeoff clearance.

The reason they ask you to wait is because DA42s are so slow you would quickly catch up with your TB20…

Not a problem, after 1NM there will be 1000ft vertical separation with the TB20 on top

Emir, isn’t twin-envy great?

Only for fast twins :-)

SCNR

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message