Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

War risks cover in aviation insurance - clarification?

We have to confirm, at short notice, insurance cover on a C182 operating in South and East Africa (privately).

Several quotes have included war risks, but the cover we are keen to take (issued in the UK) specifically excludes war risks.

I’ve been searching for a definition, and most seem to be related to marine activity, rather than aviation.

Is, for instance, terrorist activity a war risk? I don’t foresee any conventional wars in the area anytime soon.

Anyone else done the research?

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

Exclusion of war risks is worded in the standard aviation insurance clause AVN 48 (it exists in several versions marked by a letter suffix and can be easily found on the web). Conversely, an additional coverage of unlawful interference (notwithstanding the above exclusion) is in AVN 51.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I just extended my insurance coverage from Europe (which includes Maroc and the Canary Islands), war territories excluded, to worldwide including war zones.
If I understood it correctly, insurance companies have lists like the EASA compilation
In real life, third party liability cannot be legally restricted …said the insurance broker, for what it’s worth. This liability isn’t relevant at all as a poor African farmer will not sue you for expensive (to European standards) damage. It is the hull insurance that is relevant as any little mechanical breakdown there is basically a hull loss (you have to abandon the aircraft for days or weeks to organize help. At the time of your return, the plane or it’s remnants lost weight…)
If war zones were to be included, my fee was predicted to be increased by 2% of hull value. As my extension only runs for two weeks, I finally pay a premium of 0,25%.

Last Edited by a_kraut at 28 Mar 22:48
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

Thanks for the comments.

Having gone under risk with the UK-quoted insurance, it was withdrawn an hour later as the reinsurer (as far as I can gather) realised the aircraft was not based in the UK.

Next quote (Swiss?) in order of preference is 2% hull, and 1% war risks. War between Kenya and neighbours is unlikely, but currently being discussed is whether a lone person, shouting Allahu Akbar and approaching the aircraft with his(her?) AK-47 is included as a war risk. 1% isn’t negligible.

Malicious damage is another factor being negotiated.

Opinions welcome.

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message