Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

You can copy/paste images into EuroGA from the windows clipboard

I have only just discovered this… It is really amazing. No need to upload files, etc. Just right click on an image in some program running on the computer (not all programs support this) and select Copy, then Paste it into the text entry window.

I knew for some time one could do this with whatsapp and telegram, but this is news to me

Most progs can act as the “image server”. This one was copied/pasted straight from google images i.e. from a web browser acting as the copy/paste server:

Incidentally if using e.g. the Faststone screen capture tool, you just capture the bit you want, annotate if necessary, control-c to copy, open the EuroGA browser window to edit a post, position the text cursor to the desired place for the image (and click it), and control-v to paste. No need to save any files anywhere.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It works on MacOS, too.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The drawback of this copy/paste method is that the clipboard image is transferred as (uncompressed) BMP, not JPG, and this causes much bigger files to be stored on the EuroGA server. It probably doesn’t matter so much nowadays but virtual hosting doesn’t give you the “unlimited” space you get with a colocated server, but I think if someone is posting say dozens of large images from a trip, it is still better to drag/drop actual files which are JPG. When I am doing that I resize the jpegs to 925 pixels wide, too, and then one gets a really fast upload as well (the server resizes them to 925px upon any download to a browser).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

this causes much bigger files to be stored on the EuroGA server

Am pretty sure we don’t store them as BMPs, we convert them to PNGs first. Well, we store them for a second whilst we convert them, but then they are ditched. As you say though, the upload will be slower because of using a bloated format like BMP to transfer them.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message