ESME, ESMS

Use lowercase letters for name

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

hehe ok

“Peter”.downcase would do it in Ruby

ESME, ESMS

Emir wrote:

Use lowercase letters for name

Why? I mean, is it intentional (in which case, what is the intention?) or is Dimme right to say that it is a bug?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Probably that search function run text on Latin, Chinese, Arabic, Hebrew…no upper/lower case stuff

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

is Dimme right to say that it is a bug?

We could say that but if there’s workaround I wouldn’t put high priority on fixing it.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It’s a bug, though as so often, it’s not quite as simple as it might appear.

Indeed, it was a bug which was reported and fixed last year, but due to it being done originally as a bit of a fudge when the software was updated more recently the fix was removed. It’s now been done properly.

As I wrote at the time:

This is fixed now. You can type Peter or peter or PETER or even PeTeR and you’ll get the same results. What you search for is case insensitive except for boolean operators like AND or OR. So:

headset AND adapter

and

headset AND Adapter

will return the same results. However:

headset and adapter

will return something quite different, because it will look for any of those words, whereas with AND it will look for a post that contains both those words. It actually won’t look for the word ‘and’ either way because it’s one of a small number of words, like “it”, “the”, “he” etc. which are excluded from searches.

As an aside, that’s why the system doesn’t just “downcase” everything the user puts in the search.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message