Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Blockquote issue

I am seeing some posters delete (or not put in) the blank line after the trailing < blockquote >. Not a big deal but it would be useful to know what they are doing / how they are achieving it.

As I wrote above, the issue manifest itself as this:

Is it a particular device, a particular browser, perhaps?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

More testing finds that the issue disappears if there is a blank line above the quote e.g.

produces

Peter wrote:

and not replacing it with a blank line

line 1

line 2

line 3

line 4

line 5

but such a line would not normally be present because the blockquote construct is normally produced by the auto quote feature here, and that doesn’t do a blank line after the person’s name (quite correctly). So I suggest the simplest solution is to make sure there is a blank line after the quote; as I wrote earlier the auto quote feature here does put one in, but some posters appear to be stripping it somehow (probably when writing on a phone).

Administrator

The actual text used to produce the above:

Administrator

Peter wrote:

and not replacing it with a blank line

line 1

line 2

line 3

line 4

line 5

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I cannot reproduce any variable spacing.

Neither can I — but I’m pretty sure there was at some point in time.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Test. Two blockquotes without space.

This is a quote

New text.

Second quote

More text.

Test. Two blockquotes with space.

This is a quote

New text.

Second quote

More text.

Peter wrote:

The main thing is that if there is no blank line before Line 1, any blank line between Line 1 and Line 2 gets stripped out.

IMO, that’s highly non-intuitive. Actually, I don’t get @David’s point about this being dictated by the Textile spec at https://github.com/textile/textile-spec or at http://redcloth.org/hobix.com/textile/

These specs seem to expect "bq. " as first four characters (or “bq.” as first three characters? I’m not 100% sure) of the “block quote” paragraph, while we here discuss the strings (SGML/HTML/XML tags “<blockquote>” and “</blockquote>”) which seem completely foreign to the input language of Textile. They are part of the output language.

But embedded HTML is also accepted in the input. My understanding is that it is not supposed to be mangled nor interact with the Textile; it should just be copied verbatim in the output? So, it seems to me the following input code:

MyIntro<blockquote>MyText</blockquote>MyEnd

should be output as

<p>MyIntro<blockquote>MyText</blockquote>MyEnd</p>

That’s a Textile paragraph with some HTML embedded inside. Since the spec says “HTML tags on a line by themselves will not be mangled.” I can imagine (but not sure) that this is subtly different:

MyIntro
<blockquote>MyText</blockquote>
MyEnd

should be output as

<p>MyIntro</p>
<blockquote>MyText</blockquote><br/>
MyEnd</p>

That’s one paragraph with line breaks and embedded HTML.

I don’t see how this is supposed to influence in any way the treatment of following paragraphs. In @Peter’s example:

lionel wrote:
<blockquote>but not anymore indeed.</blockquote> some text
more text

some more text

more text

more text 2

what I see from my reading of the spec is:

• One Textile paragraph with (all in the same paragraph since there is no blank line to end it):
    • lionel wrote:
    • a line break
    • a <blockquote>...</blockquote> HTML structure
    • some text
    • a line break
    • more text
  • then another paragraph with some more text
  • then another paragraph with more text
  • then another paragraph with more text 2

So my brain renders it as:

<p>lionel wrote:<br/>
<blockquote>but not anymore indeed.</blockquote> some text<br/>
more text</p>
<p>some more text</p>
<p>more text</p>
<p>more text 2</p>

I don’t see where in the spec it says that the blank line between more text and some more text should not be a Textile paragraph boundary.

Since that’s the first time I discover Textile, maybe I’m wrong and I misunderstood something? I see how my reading of the spec leads to not really “what I mean” nor “well-formed HTML” output, but I don’t see where in the spec it accommodates for these Textile <-> embedded HTML interactions.

bq.Test “bq.” without space.

Test “bq.” with space.

Pre

Test <blockquote> inside explicit paragraph
ELLX

The main thing is that if there is no blank line before Line 1, any blank line between Line 1 and Line 2 gets stripped out.

The only time anyone will notice this is if their post contains a quote, no blank line after the quote, and two or more paragraphs after the quote. The first two paragraphs will get merged together.

Administrator

Hadn’t realised there was a thread about this. I’ve sent Peter a detailed explanation. I don’t think there is any bug here, it’s working as the Textile spec dictates.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message