Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to get more Classified (Marketplace) adverts on EuroGA, and how to make them work better?

Classifieds

It would be great if this section could attract more adverts.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I thought about a banner on the home page. Currently there is room there, on the right side.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Pricing is around 5/10/100€ too high. The usual places are mostly free and have a much higher distribution.

Last Edited by mh at 02 Mar 22:27
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Change name from classifieds to EuroGA market or marketplace. The layout of the ads isn’t very clear and uniform. A more congruent grid or list would be nice. Smaller preview thumbnails also.

Embed it more prominently into the forum (many forums just have a category for threads labeled „wanted“ and „for sale“ which enables direct exchange of information with the seller (and, „talkdown“ too which can be an issue). This category should be public. Maybe a „questions and answers“ kind of thing at the discretion of the seller would be a good middle ground?!

Separate info boxes (price/shipping) to show total price (approximately).

Past items should be marked „sold“ to show that there is enough exposure on the site to sell things.

Easily shareable via email/social media link.

Pricing structure based on time eg
N Weeks
Parts 4,9€
Aircraft 49€

2N Weeks
Parts 7,9€
Aircraft 79€

3N Weeks
10,9€
109€

Once more ads pop up monetize by adding features e.g.
highlight ad in red
show ad at the top
3 pictures free, 20 pictures

Basically go to a large ad site and copy what they are doing ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

I wasn’t aware of this. Looked at it, and, it looks as if I can edit all the ads. The edit button works, and a new edit window open (did not edit anything though so I don’t know if it actually works, if the edits get saved)

It should be free. These things are free everywhere, unless they are professional sites that offer the extra (be it guaranty of payment, delivery, checks for real persons or whatever). It should also be a want ro buy section.

I also think “Classified” is not the best word to use in an international setting (if that’s the goal).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I believe that bug has now been fixed; many thanks for reporting it. The edit did actually fail to work but only at the very end.

It is a great tip that “classified” is not an ideal name. It is widely used in the UK but probably not elsewhere in the English language sphere.

We can’t do the adverts for free. The sites which do that are all (obviously) funded from other sources. I am sure most here would absolutely hate having advert banners all the way down the side of the forum – even if most who know how would adblock them… And carrying adverts raises tricky ethical issues with the editorial independence of the site. Also, with EuroGA now being donation supported (and so far very generously – thank you all ) those who donated would quite correctly complain that they are subsidising the people who are getting money for their unwanted items.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

We can’t do the adverts for free. The sites which do that are all (obviously) funded from other sources.

The Q is, what you intend to achieve with the classifieds. But be it refinancing the forum or just drawing attention to it, you need to have content for the ads to be frequented and traffic for anyone willing to spend any amount of cash on the ads (other than just plain support of the forum).

But with so many sites out there, why do you think, we need another classified site? What could EuroGA offer, that the others can’t? Where is your USP for the ads? 100€ is serious money for an ad. I don’t think I would pay 100€ for an ad that probably has no impact on my sale, while the most probable places to find a buyer (planecheck, aircraft24, segelflug.de, aeromarkt, etc) are free or drastically cheaper with a bigger audience.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

You can get unbelievable expose on Barnstormers for $25. I mean you can sell literally anything. In UK specific terms 5 credits on AFORS will get a lot of stuff moved, that 25 GBP plus 10 quid if you are not yet validated. I’m not sure of the outcomes of advertising here vs. other places, I haven’t tried it.

Planecheck is good value
aircraft24 gets a lot of scammers, but any leads are generally good
aeromarkt not so hot
avbuyer bit of a WOT
controller not much use in GA in Europe

Facebook is a mixed blessing and mainly for exposure. I think most of the people here are already scanning the sites above so, an advert here may not get many fresh eyeballs looking at it.

Edit – spelling

Last Edited by WilliamF at 03 Mar 14:05
Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

I think the ads on EuroGA are just to support the hosting and maintenance costs. It’s never going to be huge, but it doesn’t need to be. Nobody, including myself, is ever going to make any money out of it, but at the same time I don’t want to be continually paying for stuff out of my own pocket. Hosting and such is the bigger part of a k a year, and any mods cost a few hundred for a few hours’ work. If the EuroGA ads generate 1k a year that would be brilliant.

Another benefit of the ads is to stop the forum getting flooded with For Sale threads. We used to get loads of them.

Isn’t Barnstormers largely a US-audience site?

I would pay 100€ for an ad that probably has no impact on my sale

You don’t know that (even if perhaps you wish it was the case)

while the most probable places to find a buyer (planecheck, aircraft24, segelflug.de, aeromarkt, etc) are free or drastically cheaper with a bigger audience.

2 of those are German-only.

What is the cost of selling a plane on Planecheck? The €100 here is only for advertising a whole plane. Avionics, say a €10k Garmin, is just €10. Everything else is €5.

And, as some discovered, you can put a number of items in one advert. One German avionics shop recently put up a jpeg with a looong list of stuff This is OK; it all good for the €10.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

What is the cost of selling a plane on Planecheck?

From their page:
.1 Rates

Submission of adverts to PlaneCheck is basically free of charge!

If in the event an advertiser has actually sold an airplane via a positive PlaneCheck lead, he or she will transfer a sales fee (so called “contribution”) to PlaneCheck. The following amounts are in effect:

Selling price Contribution
Up to 100,000 EUR 50 EUR
Over 100,000 EUR 100 EUR

The last time I had sold an aircraft (F150M), I had no lead through planecheck, but four serious via aircraft24 and two serious ones from segelflug.de

Last Edited by mh at 03 Mar 14:57
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

OK, so a whole plane needs to be priced at under €50. That’s useful input.

Administrator
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message