Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Please don't remove the blank line after the < /blockquote >

You should not need to add it now, after the closing blockquote.

But if you use the bq. method, like you did above, manually (which is actually what I always do because typing bq. is far faster on a keyboard than drag/dropping the other stuff) then a blank line must be manually added after the quoted text and before your commentary.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m only ever on an android phone.
And for some reason it doesn’t add the space.
It’s not a big deal. I just sometimes forget to add it, which is why many if my posts have been marked as edited.

United Kingdom

You have entered

Quotes need to have a blank line after them. It has to be a separate paragraph. Otherwise, the text formatter has no way of knowing where the quote ends and where the commentary on it starts.

Quotes also need to have a blank line before them, for a similar reason. That’s unless the quote is at the very top.

I sometimes struggle to understand how this happens, because it is basically impossible to get it wrong on a laptop or a PC. I think it goes wrong (for many) because they are typing on a small screen on which they can see only the immediate few lines. Also they can’t easily check that the resulting post makes sense. It’s the modern world

Administrator

QuoteThat is how it should be. The system inserts the blank line after each closing < blockquote >.

I have to add in the line manually.

United Kingdom

QuoteThat is how it should be. The system inserts the blank line after each closing < blockquote >.
I’ve always struggled to get this correct

United Kingdom

That is how it should be. The system inserts the blank line after each closing < blockquote >.

It also does it again if you edit your post and remove the black line which it has just inserted

Administrator

No difference, first with, second without blank line

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Peter wrote:

Can I ask people to do a little test?

Swipe some text in somebody’s post and when the Quote button appears

Hmm

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Peter wrote:

Can I ask people to do a little test?

Swipe some text in somebody’s post and when the Quote button appears

Yes

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

With thanks to David, I believe this has now been fixed. There is auto insertion of the magical blank line

Administrator
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message