Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Windows 10 the aviation way

The new start menu in Windows 8 made the first step towards proper interface ergonomics – like the aircraft cockpit, without all that pseudo-3D and other unnecessary thingies. Here is the next step, done by a third-party utility called TileIconifier.

Before:

After:

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

That looks a bit like the Synapptic app for android, for people with very poor eyesight.

A bigger issue IMHO is whether there is a provision for disabling the touch screen, to avoid accidental touches. I managed to do this in both win8 and in android. But neither gives you that out of the box.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ultranomad wrote:

The new start menu in Windows 8 made the first step towards proper interface ergonomics

This is literally the first time I have ever heard anyone praise the UI in Windows 8. The first thing most people did was install Classic Shell to get rid of it.

Last Edited by stevelup at 29 Mar 08:52

stevelup wrote:

This is literally the first time I have ever heard anyone praise the UI in Windows 8. The first thing most people did was install Classic Shell to get rid of it.

I know what you mean, but it does not necessarily mean the old UI has better ergonomics. People are simply too used to it to give it up. Apart from the different visual representation, Windows 10 UI has finally properly implemented the keyboard-driven control functions that don’t require a mouse. As a very fast typist, I value it a lot.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Peter wrote:

A bigger issue IMHO is whether there is a provision for disabling the touch screen, to avoid accidental touches. I managed to do this in both win8 and in android. But neither gives you that out of the box.

On my Dell laptop with Windows 10 you can easily disable the touchscreen.

EGTK Oxford

Is it a keyboard key?

Deep down it is just a registry item…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

s it a keyboard key?

Deep down it is just a registry item…

No, control panel.

EGTK Oxford

OK, sure, but if you want to run a tablet in an aviation context, you want to launch the app(s) and then disable the touch screen.

Running with touch screen off all the time implies having a pointing device, which is not going to be the case normally.

Administrator
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message