Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Editing posts

...and had the above post not been locked I would not need to make this new one this morning to add:

The point of any software interface is be transparent and not get in the way. All the more important for a forum aimed at pilot's for whom English is a second language.

Gloucester UK (EGBJ)

Steve, the rationale for marking a post as edited is to let the reader know it might have changed. This holds regardless of whether a reply has been posted or not. Without the edit indicator you either have to assume something you believe you've read hasn't changed or read it again to find out if it has or hasn't.

What is the downside of marking something as edited, in your view? I don't see how the edit indicator gets in the way or is confusing - it's smaller and in lighter colour to let the user know it's not part of the original text.

You mention that if the earlier post had still been editable you wouldn't need to have added another, but what is the problem with adding another? I'd argue that adding a new post is more friendly for other users, otherwise they may well miss the addition. It also works better for users who are using either the "read new posts" option, or has "email new posts" turned on.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message