Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for someone who can do PHP / JS

Is there a good HEIC (Apple image) to Jpeg converter for Centos 8?

Apparently all new Apple devices use this in Camera Roll…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not sure about CentOS, but Debian & derivatives (such as Ubuntu) contain a command-line converter in the libheif-examples package. See https://stuffjasondoes.com/2019/07/10/batch-convert-heic-to-jpg-in-linux/

Basic usage, e.g. for quality setting 95 in the resulting JPEG:

heif-convert -q95 INPUTFILE OUTPUTFILE.jpg

Worst thing, if CentOS doesn’t have that packaged, you compile libheif locally from sources.

Last Edited by lionel at 22 May 19:58
ELLX

I am sure it doesn’t; it didn’t even have TIFF (but nobody is likely to be trying to upload TIFF).

Administrator

Another path is that it seems that ImageMagick supports HEIC images in recent versions. That even has an interface in PHP

ELLX

libheif which is provided in the rpmfusion-free-updates repository has a heif-convert utility.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

This is good:

Chrome and FF handle things differently when sending data from a text entry box. In FF each line is in a < div > and I made it so the divs are discarded and changed into < br > (new line). Chrome doesn’t put the first line into a div, so when I drop tags there’s no new line there. It also puts multiple nbsp; at beginning/end line after you split the line with enter, while FF just eats those hanging spaces.

I wonder how the hell one deals with this sort of thing long term. Everybody uses some library to do this. But that library cannot be live linked (in the hope of getting an upgraded version) because one day the link will go dead and then your site breaks. So you store it locally. Browser bugs like this (it simply is a Chrome bug) have the potential to break a site when a browser gets updated. One way is to run the edit box on the server; you can do clever stuff then much more easily but it breaks client spell checkers etc. We had that on EuroGA in the early days and people complained about the spell checkers etc.

Meanwhile FF is down to a very small share in this audience

It’s been solved but took some time.

Administrator

Nitpick: HEIC isn’t an Apple format, it’s a format developed by the MPEG which Apple adopted 2 years after it was developed (Samsung also use it on their newer phones)

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

That is what a lot of people tell me but I have not yet seen a scenario where a double click does not highlight the space after a word

For me, double clicking does not highlight the space after a word either in Firefox or Chrome, although this may be because I’m one of these filthy types who runs Debian Linux rather than Windows.

Andreas IOM

Thanks for everyone’s help.

The underline issue was solved with one person’s help.

The HEIC will likely be done with ImageMagick.

Could someone send me an HEIC file which is in portrait orientation? EDIT: got one – thanks.

Administrator

The HEIC stuff is now supported. You can upload files to Airports directly from your Camera Roll. Many thanks to those who helped

A general Q on server side programming:

Everybody uses libraries to make different browsers appear the same.

The reality is that most devs like moving forward all the time and don’t bother testing with the less used browsers. Firefox is on that borderline now, at below 10% of the user base. IE is even lower. Chrome and Safari own the world.

But Chrome is a bug ridden POS. An update a few days ago broke a lot of stuff. Whether it actually breaks your site depends on which features you relied on, and how experienced the dev was (exactly the same issue with android programming, where a clever dev can write apps which just work on every device, while the others are saying it can’t be done so they just do IOS).

The key issue is who updates the libraries when something breaks. A lot of them don’t get updated. Mostly one uses open source ones. But even if they do get updated, somebody (€€€) has to send a day on the server, updating the local copy of the library and probably fixing the things which the update then broke (dependencies). That day is perhaps a best part of 1k (a bit less for PHP) which is way too much for a community project. And linking to an online stored library is obviously dodgy because your site will break as soon as the link goes dead (the way e.g. Hotjar would break a site whenever their server broke).

Keeping as much as possible on the server, not using a lot of browser features, has to be one way, but then as time goes by your website starts to look obsolete. Also it breaks things like spell checkers…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message