Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for someone who can do PHP / JS

Nobody has volunteered to input on the above so I have another challenge to people who want to help on EuroGA:

The two text boxes in the new entry form (restaurant comments and general comments) both work fully but there is a subtle issue with pasting in text.

That issue seems to be mainly that the length of the pasted-in block is being wrongly computed so the cursor gets placed in the wrong place afterwards. It gets placed much further forward than the correct place which is after the last char of the pasted-in block, and often it ends up at the start of the text box. Not a problem really; just inconvenient – even if most people will never encounter it. Due to cost, I have now given up getting the dev to spend even more time on this. A really clever JS person might be able to find the problem.

I should mention that the code strips off formatting e.g. text copied from some website, a word doc, etc, always contains a font spec etc and this gets stripped off with some custom code. I think this is what makes the length calculation nontrivial.

The JS is visible in the client browser.

It’s been suggested that one should chuck away the current editor and use another one, but the next one might have some other bug which will cost a packet to put right… or it could have a problem with some specific browser like Safari v13.1.2.3 or whatever. Open source software is great until the author gets himself a girlfriend

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
61 Posts
Sign in to add your message