Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Google Translate stopped working in Chrome

This seems new for me, but reports are all over the internet and no apparent solutions.

Have google broken Chrome (again) or is there some simple solution?

I don’t want to lose all my settings, but even the people who did a total uninstall reported no fix.

There is a Google Translate plug-in, which works but you have to highlight the text. The previous “transparent” translate seems to be totally broken.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It works on the latest version of Chrome for MacOS.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Not for me…

Google Chrome is up to date
Version 79.0.3945.117 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Any attempt to use the built in translation fails with ‘This page cannot be translated’

Ha!

Version 79.0.3945.117 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I find it works in some cases if I use the google translate plug-in, select some text on the page, click on the plug-in icon, this displays the translation of the swiped text, and then click on TRANSLATE THIS PAGE.

Incidentally, I find it hilarious that google presents search results from 5-10 years back, which cannot possibly be relevant. Is there some way to date-rank them?

Administrator

You can’t exactly rank stuff, but you can filter out old crap.

Last Edited by stevelup at 16 Jan 11:06

Wow thanks – every day is a school day!

I hope google fix this asap.

Another data point: it also stopped working at my office. Also win7-64, same chrome version. No PC config change. Definitely a google cockup.

Administrator

I’m on a Mac, so they’ve even managed to make it a cross-platform cockup. I suspect the issue is server side rather than local…

Must be PHP… a very dodgy language

Administrator

Translate does work in Chrome Version 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit) under win10. Curious?

But same version of Chrome under win7-64 doesn’t translate.

Administrator

Has anyone heard of anything being fixed on this?

Seems to be widely known e.g.

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/25735369?hl=en

It may be that websites which don’t work (all of them, IME) are ones containing even one word of the target language. But as I say it works in Chrome in win10.

Administrator
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message