Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA top banner missing on phone browsers

Hi there,
Would anyone know why the navigation bar on our homepage (shown below) is not loaded (or visible ?) when browsing with iOS. I tried FF and Safari, tried toggling standard settings (jscript on/off, cookie settings, referer settings). I can’t figure it out. Thanks for your help !!

Last Edited by AJ at 16 Apr 08:38
AJ
Germany

I see the same on android. Interesting… must have got broken quite recently, but I have no idea how.

Sometimes this sort of thing can be caused by something in one of the thread banners (which I rearrange each morning according to what comes up) but I have just tested it by disabling all of them and it is still missing.

It could also be caused by something in the thread highlights. These are generated automatically on each home page load

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have this reply from David who wrote all the code originally:

I think it’s always been this way. It’s intentional. On mobile (or indeed
desktop when you resize the window) the logo is removed because it just
takes up a load of space and a “Menu” button appears in the top right
corner, which provides the links which were underneath the logo.

If you set your phone browser to “desktop mode” (or whatever it is called) then you should see the full website like on a PC or Mac. But it won’t be as usable on the phone because everything will be small.

Administrator

I think it’s a feature to save on screen real estate. It happens on the desktop as well. If you start with a large/normal window, you get the banner. Now make it slowly smaller (narrower) and at a certain width it will disappear.

EDQH, Germany

It’s always been this way for me (ios).

always learning
LO__, Austria

thanks to all, only this morning I discovered that the banner comes back when I rotate the ipad into landscape mode. That’s in line with what you said above. I add this here because it may be useful for other users … essential for starting a new post, which (afaict) can only be started through the banner !

Last Edited by AJ at 17 Apr 11:50
AJ
Germany

EuroGA uses a CSS kit called Bootstrap which is supposed to generate a presentation which is adaptive according to the client device.

It’s an interesting point about New Post not being visible on phones in portrait mode.

Administrator

essential for starting a new post, which (afaict) can only be started through the banner

Nope. You don’t need the banner for that. You need the menu button in order to navigate to the category where you want to start a new thread. I have never seen the menu bar disappear.

EDQH, Germany
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message