Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another one for anoraks: USENET - a trip back in time

Oh yes; NNTP.

On Usenet, you could killfile people quite easily

The point of my original post was to highlight how fast things change. But I guess social media platforms do change fast. What happened to myspace, beebo, etc? Those were for kids but even adult ones change fast. Web forums got going around year 2000.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What exactly is “anorak” in this context?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
LPFR, Poland

Funny. From wikipedia:

In 1984 the Observer newspaper used the term as a metonym for the prototype group interested in detailed trivia, the trainspotters, as members of this group often wore unfashionable but warm parkas called “anoraks” when standing for hours on station platforms or along railway tracks, noting down details of passing trains.

In Norway, an anorakk is probably one of the most fashionable clothing you can wear these days. In fact, when being outdoor, it’s important (for the fashionable) to have a fashionable anorakk During this corona age, sales of all sorts of outdoor equipment and garment has skyrocketed. Sales records all over.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

In the UK though there were these terrible cheap (but warm!) anoraks which were a staple of train spotting.

Andreas IOM

I found anorak to be a derogatory term in the UK when I first moved here. Used by slightly “cool” people to put other “nerdy” people in a place. I don’t like it.

Urban dictionary is often your friend: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=anorak

EGL*, United Kingdom

Yes indeed; “anorak” is derogatory if used to describe somebody else, but I referred to myself as an “anorak” so that should make it ok in this case

I too don’t like the anti-nerd attitude which has always been fashionable among the “thicko classes”. Practically all people who have ever achieved anything of value are people who are able to focus on something for long enough to get it solved, and they get called “nerds”.

Administrator

Fidonet, good old days..

2:200/178 IIRC 😁

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 15 Nov 21:55

Peter wrote:

I had to migrate peter2000.co.uk and some other stuff to https. That is actually a hassle because the certificates expire and none of the solutions are hassle-free.

letsencrypt.org is pretty hassle-free. Renewals are fully automated, one doesn’t even need to push a button.

ELLX

You still have to install new certificates on the server…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message