Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help me get back into Flight Simulation

Mooney_Driver wrote:

. In some areas it works well for VFR, but has no IFR value at all.

Personally I found Xplane too cumbersome and have stayed with FSX. I hear Prepare 3d to be quite good by now.

I found that MSFS is the first (and only) piece of software where the real terrain is modeled accurately enough to simulate actual VFR flight in the real world. I cannot comment on IFR because I didn’t perform any IFR flights yet.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Snoopy wrote:

Is the Brunner force feedback?

There is an older version of the Yoko, anybody know it?

I have a hard time taking this “comparison” seriously.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

MedEwok wrote:

I found that MSFS is the first (and only) piece of software where the real terrain is modeled accurately enough to simulate actual VFR flight in the real world. I cannot comment on IFR because I didn’t perform any IFR flights yet.

To me it is the feel of the aircraft. For many years it was Aces High, but today it is IL2, but of course I have no clue how a Spitfire or a FW really feels like They all feels “correct” aircraft wise and cool with all the systems working as they are supposed to work (IL2). Also the Yak-52 in DCS is pretty nice and realistic, maybe one of the nicest there is. This is all VFR. IFR in X-plane is more like some abstract, but boring Nintendo game, so I guess it is fairly accurate I have never tried the new MSFS though.

Interesting that video with Austin. In the end, the choice of stick/yoke depends on your “mission” and wallet Just like the “real thing”. FF would perhaps be something I would like to try. It adds another dimension it seems, but only if done right. It didn’t seem to work all that well out of the box.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

MedEwok wrote:

I have heard the same and have seen quite some proof to that, the VFR representation is unparalleled, yet e.g. terrain modelling is severely lacking in many places, particularly moutains. Anyone who knows terrain meshes like FS Global Ultimate or similar can’t help but being really disappointed there. Unfortunately, the SDK does not allow upgrades by third parties as of now.

However, there are massive flaws in the currently available airplanes. This is nothing new, all the MS Airplanes were mostly garbage. However, in previous incarnations third party developers were easily ready to rectify this and produce Hi Fi models and systems in addon planes. This at the moment is not possible in MSFS as the SDK does not allow it so far and as every patch published negates previous work. Therefore, most serious addon producers like PMDG, FS LAbs and others have decided not to support it for the time being.

In my time of 13 years as a journalist for FlightXpress I’ve seen a lot of this happen, worst of all in FSX, but the extent with which it happens here, makes me discard this sim as a reasonable platform for the near future, particularly as you also need a very expensive machine to run it. Once some of this changes, I may be tempted to change my mind on this.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Except for small planes, behaviour and flight model of MSFS is garbage, as well as instruments, which actually is consistent with VFR flights. For anything complex and requiring flight experience, it’s not the good SIM.
I’m using xp11 which is really accurate on this point, and payware planes are really great, with also some exceptional free ones (Zibo b738 is at the level of the FNPT I made my MCC on, if you exclude hardware of course)…

LFMD, France

Which yokes or joysticks are force feedback? Any recommendations?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Mooney_Driver wrote:

the VFR representation is unparalleled

VFR today is following a route on SD

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I started out using X-Plane 11 on my Macbook Pro but that did not run very smooth. So, I bought a game PC with Windows and X-Plane 11, Track-IR and supplemented it with a PilotEdge.net subscription for real ATC.

I personally don’t care about fore feedback yokes as I am not trying to learn how to fly. Once you know how to fly, it is to me like riding a bicycle: you don’t forget how to ride it! I care more about muscle memory and keeping proficient with the tasks, procedures, approaches and aircraft stuff in times like now in the winter within a lockdown period where I don’t fly regularly and might become a bit rusty.

I have to fly in the Western US in X-Plane with PilotEdge as that is where PilotEdge offers their ATC service. That is an area where I normally don’t fly, but it doesn’t matter as I can just practice doing instrument approaches in the sim, talk to ATC who can give me instructions I might not expect, etc. That keeps me current. Then, when I jump into a real aircraft again, I feel right at home.

I have installed the new version of FS, but do not need it really as it is not the reality of the scenery outside that I am looking for but to fly procedures, talk to ATC and deal with the aircraft controls and push the right buttons.

I have invested in some external knobs as I find it irritating to have to dail the radio by clicking the mouse several times. And I have integrated ForeFlight and SkyDemon on my iPad as well. Overall, I find this a cost effective and efficient way to stay current.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 16 Dec 10:32
EDLE, Netherlands

AeroPlus wrote:

That keeps me current. Then, when I jump into a real aircraft again, I feel right at home.

Including the lowlander (0%) beer

Nice setup by the way, I did not try ATC services yet but I am tempted by PilotEdge, do you get lot of GA style !
My attempts with ATC on FSX were disappointing as it was “too much commercial” or “too much amateur ATC/Pilot” with quality of service being UK OCAS style

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Dec 10:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Nice setup by the way, I did not try ATC services yet but I am tempted by PilotEdge, do you get lot of GA style !
My attempts with ATC on FSX were disappointing as it was “too much commercial” or “too much amateur ATC/Pilot” with quality of service being UK OCAS style

The air traffic controllers at PilotEdge are all professional and get paid about the same as real controllers. They are very professional and accommodating. There is no delay in the audio. The only “thing” is that they are operational from 8 am until 11 pm time in California, so for me, I can only fly with ATC after 17.00 hours here in The Netherlands up to early the next morning. I perceive flying without the ATC element boring and have never been crazy about flying simulators. With the PilotEdge ATC stuff included it actually becomes fun to do!

If I have to fly a certain aircraft type that I have not been flying for some time, flying it in the sim with PilotEdge for some time makes all the difference to me. Once I set foot in that aircraft type (in real life) again, it feels like I haven’t been away from it at all thanks to X-Plane in combination with PilotEdge.

The Track-IR option is a nice one as well as I can just turn my head to the left, right, forward and backwards and I don’t have to manipulate any buttons or do any mouse clicks to look around. If I want to focus on some cockpit work setting up an approach (for example), I can just freeze the Track IR option and focus on the cockpit. With just one click at the controls the Track-IR function will be active again allowing me to look around.

EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message