Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help me get back into Flight Simulation

Snoopy wrote:

Which yokes or joysticks are force feedback? Any recommendations?

I believe the overall recommendation was for a Brunner CLS-E NG as a “budget” (1200 EUR) version of a good forced feedback yoke; they also have force feedback joysticks, cyclics, rudders – everything you can afford and more ;)

There have been a few mentions of sim setups before, see e.g. this thread or this post by Timothy for some references.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I like the sim setup of this airline pilot guy that flies on the sim on the DA42 with the Honeycomb Yoke. That yoke is not a force feedback yoke, but is still a great one to simulate the flying experience and in my personal view all you need (that is, if you already know how to fly). I have actually tried the force feedback yoke and it is a massive device. Not sure if it is worth it. But again, that is just my personal view on it and taking my sim “needs” into consideration.

EDLE, Netherlands

Great thread!

For my use case (ifr procedures mainly) I think the Brunner is overkill. I like the old yoko (all metal, 800€).
Perhaps some hardware to tune navs and turn hdg/course would be nice. Any products available?

I’m thinking maybe go for a new macbook pro 16“ with M1 chip (that would allow mobile instruction)
(3000+€)
+ Portable
+ Benefit of other uses
- Lower performance
- Not upgradable easily in 5 years

or
a dedicated windows pc or notebook?
(1500€)
+ Better performance
+ Upgradable for future
+ Hardware (simionics) compatibility
- 1500€ for only one use case
- not portable

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Snoopy: I worked on my MacBook Pro for almost anything for the last 10 years or so. Moved much of that work over to the iPad Pro with keyboard. As for the simulator, I have opted for a PC that has large cooling fins inside, lots of memory and processor power and … Windows as operating system. It is not portable, but with all the extra’s like yoke, hardware radio/AP, control knobs etc. I personally think this Windows setup is the way to go. I don’t use the PC for anything other than as a simulator computer, but seemingly one of my daughters (not living at home anymore) is into gaming and she borrowed my PC for a while and all her gaming friend on the internet were jealous of her PC specs. :-) The internal cooling is done in such a way that I don’t hear the PC running or cooling at all. It is just quiet and I love it. I hated that cooling fan running on my MacBook Pro when operating X-Plane.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 16 Dec 13:52
EDLE, Netherlands

My setup is basically a desk table with alpha yoke since 2 month, I had a thrustmaster stick before that wasn’t very sensitive. I have to say alpha yoke is great and so does look the throttle quadrant, but I already a have a twin engine lever that is great. I also have a set of saitek pro rudder pedal that is great for rudder, a bit less as breaking as they are too much sensitive, but still ok.
The computer is a mid tower just ungraded to AMD world after some year in intel, with a 5950x, 32Gig of DDR4 3600 and a 2080ti, on a 27in monitor running in 4K.
Fps is correct with Xplane11 Vulcan driver 55 to 45 when flying high, 35 to 45 close to the earth, sometimes less in loaded airfields. FPS is less with OpenGL, and especially with Xenviro (which is a weather add on) that is brilliant but FPS-eater, and only working in OpenGL for the time being.
I am often flying:
- The C172 by airfoilabs, it has great behaviour and it’s probably the only one that can spin in spin condition.
-The carenado PC12 with REP add-on, it is brilliant,
-The TBM900 by X-aviation, has to be said it is the most accurate plane, including the best accomplished G1000nxi in xplane.
-The B737-800 zibo, free and really accurate in terms of system, it helped me a lot to be proficient during MCC training
-The PA31T great and simple
I have a ton of other, paid and free. I recently bought the thranda DHC2 beaver and is it a great slow flyer.

Here is just a small idea of wht it does on the TBM900 with standard weather

And here is a good exemple of X-Enviro great volumetric weather – better than MSFS is some area, worse in other.

Some Flat spin on the C172

By comparison, a DR400 in MSFS, and I can say landscape is very close to reality as I’m often flying there. I wouldn’t say the same thing about the DR400

Last Edited by greg_mp at 16 Dec 14:40
LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

Some Flat spin on the C172

How did you manage a flat spin? Out of GC bounds? Power?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@greg_mp: that C172 model you use? I just bought it. Interesting to know that you can do spins in it! For the rest: does it behave the same as the standard C172 model already there in X-Plane 11?

EDLE, Netherlands

Apart from X-Plane 11 and some specific aircraft models I bought as I fly the real thing as well such as SR22T, C210T, C182, C172, Piper Chieftain PA31, the DA42 and some seaplane models such as the Husky, I also use some plugins in X-Plane such as: Ultraweather XP (for realistic weather) and XP Realistic (for better simulation of things like engine vibration) and of course the plugin needed for PilotEdge. As “headset” I use the Apple Airpods Pro to talk to ATC. I have rudders as well.

EDLE, Netherlands

Airborne_Again wrote:

How did you manage a flat spin? Out of GC bounds? Power?

Stall + right foot to the floor, that is only working with this C172 which is better modelized than the base one.

AeroPlus wrote:

that C172 model you use? I just bought it. Interesting to know that you can do spins in it! For the rest: does it behave the same as the standard C172 model already there in X-Plane 11?

pretty much the same but nicer and actually very close to the one I’m flying in the club, but more fine, better engine modelling, you can add failure as well, and you can have aileron stall also – that result in opposite roll.
https://store.x-plane.org/Cessna-172SP-Skyhawk_p_401.html
The real C172 i usually fly is very close in terms of performance, but I didn’t exercise it the same way about flat spin…

LFMD, France

Forgot to mention the use of Navigraph on the iPad as in my case I do not have Jeppesen coverage in California. Then to also connect ForeFlight and/or SkyDemon to the sim setup or the G1000 PFD or MFD apps to complete the sim setup.

EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message