Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help me get back into Flight Simulation

greg_mp wrote:

Stall + right foot to the floor, that is only working with this C172 which is better modelized than the base one.

Will a real 172 within GC limits really get into a flat spin if you do that!?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Not sure it will finish in a flat spin, but it will spin for sure.
Look at that one, 0:45

And this one , 4.10

The difference is that “you are not supposed to let spin developed to a flat one” – of course. I may have to do another video to match a real spin + recovery.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 16 Dec 22:16
LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

pretty much the same but nicer

I have just been flying with it in X-plane 11. It is indeed nice. Thx.

EDLE, Netherlands

greg_mp wrote:

you are not supposed to let spin developed to a flat one

I don’t think most aircraft will “develop” into a flat spin. A C-172 will develop into something like a spiral dive, which is not a spin at all. The 152 Aerobat spins nicely, fully developed (normal spin) within 1-2 rotations. Haven’t flown it for ages though, but it was the first aircraft, except gliders, that I spun in. A flat spin can be very difficult to enter I have heard. A sequence of inputs is normally required.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I installed X-Plane 11 on my MBP 13“ (mid 2015, 2,7ghz dual core?, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD etc..) and put all settings to minimum. It works, but as mentioned, the fan is going into overkill mode.

I wonder how a macbook pro with M1 cpu would cope?

Just want to avoid maintaining another computer… and offset the expense as much as possible (= hardware synergy effects welcome!).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

I wonder how a macbook pro with M1 cpu would cope?

Seems to run fine. Here’s a few screens.
FPS in top left corner.

Last Edited by loco at 18 Dec 07:06
LPFR, Poland

It will run fine but the load for landscapes, model and element will give some hard time to laptop fans. It mainly depend if you play in a room alone and with a headset.
You will need 3d accélération anyway, I don’t know the 3d accelerator in the MacBook.

LFMD, France

Thanks Loco!
Looks like mid2021 for the 16“ M1 mbp release.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@greg_mp

I want to use it primarily as IFR proficiency trainer with a yoke (yoko) and iPads mimicking g1000/gtn750 screens.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Snoopy

I tried my best to get X-plane running on my desktop Mac, including running it with Windows under Bootcamp. I’m sure an external GPU would have helped but they are quite pricey and not ideal. Windows is required to run the GTN simulator which I find really useful. A touch screen is also very helpful for avionics which isn’t native to the Mac either.

So I ended up buying a reasonable spec Windows 10 gaming machine with quite good graphics card. I’d recommend buying last year’s model rather than the very latest. Substantial cost saving but still pretty good, and the latest X-Plane 11.50 really turbo charges the frame rate and reduces stutter. I have a touchscreen for the instrument panel running Air Manager which gives me enormous flexibility for panel instrument choice and allows touchscreen operation for the GTN etc, combined with a Knobster that works as a physical knob mapped to anything on the panel (including GNS430, GTN etc). I have just one larger scenery screen which can be used with TrackIR to moves around as you move your head, but frankly don’t use that so much. A friend of mine has just bought a Honeycombe Yoke + 16 inch touchscreen for panel + Knobster + mounting plate from StayLevelAvionix touch bracket combination that looks great.

Since I do IFR and am less interested in trimming technique, I’ve remained with a joystick with buttons used to drive the automatic trim. I tend to use the autopilot as much as I would in a real aircraft and concentrate on what the instruments are telling me. I can understand the benefits of a good force feedback yoke, especially during initial IFR training, but am not at that stage myself. For the club setup I built, we used a Honeycombe yoke which works really well and provides the best value for money. Avoid anything less than that – they really are toys – and spend some time calibrating the sensitivity using the X-Plane setup menu.

The latest edition of Pilot und Flugzeug has an article on this which I wrote, but haven’t seen the finished article yet – not actually sure if it’s hit the streets yet.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message